FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hi, two of the traps turned black on my Venus flytrap. I use artificial lighting (3x25watt 6000K daylight bulbs). I also only use rain water. Is it something to worry about?
IMG_2165.JPG
IMG_2165.JPG (416.69 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG (427.65 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
By Jds
Blackening is normal{Vfts turn the leaves black instead of brown(or any other shade) like other plants}.
No need to worry,it just needs more light,give as much sunlight as possible.
Jds liked this
By dutchplantlover
The leaves look a bit large and are maybe a bit lightstarved so you might consider putting it outside or get brighter lights.it is perfectly normal that some of the traps die because they are modified leaves and a tree loses leaves all the time right!?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
By zoliky
Thank you. I use a fluorescent light bulb (25watt 6500K). I just finished covering it with tin foil and now it gets more light. The built-in light meter in my DSLR camera measures a value of 400 (shutter speed). On sunlight the value goes up to 450-500, but I think the difference is not that big. I just purchased the plant a few days ago, the pot was very small. I repotted it in a larger pot using premium quality peat moss with no chemicals.
Attachments:
dionaea.jpg
dionaea.jpg (93.4 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
By Dematerialize
I wouldn't trust the camera sensor concerning the amount of light they get, the light the sensor gets or a camera needs is not really a good comparison to use against the needs of a dionaea or even sarracenia. In the wild they get direct light for most of the day. Sunlight is the best they can get and their health will rarely be as excellent as it'd be outdoors when you have them indoors. Not many indoor lights can match even half of what they should get outdoors-it can be done though. If you can do try to get them outdoors.

The traps look a bit droopy and dehydrated but it might just be due to shipping shock.

Laizura-it doesn't look like most traps have food in them, not all would look like that. They're just dealing with a new environment right now.
Input on Neps placement

I have Diane, Lady Luck, Ventrata and hybrids with[…]

I put mine under a table outside. every few days i[…]

The light requirements for a VFT are such that ind[…]

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!