FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By plantdreamer
Hi Folks! I've read around the site, here and there for the last 2 months or so. I've been studying tissue culture, and find the information presented here priceless =) I'd like to get started with tissue culturing these beautiful carnivorous plants, and learn how they grow and interact with their environment. I've never had a carnivorous plant, so I have no idea which plant is best for a beginner. It's hot weather here, and porch flies and gnats can be a problem, if they fly in while the door is open... Having a plant that can take care of the problem, or assist in any way, would be amazing.

There's so much to learn, so please don't get annoyed if I ask too many questions. I'll search and read, but if I can't find the answer to a question, I'll definitely reach out to someone.

Take care!
By Jds
Welcome to Flytrapcare forum.
The best plants for beginner are venus flytraps,sarracenia and even nepenthes or sundews,these are the easiest.
Most of carnivorous plants are easy to grow but it's upto to place your live in,even that doesn't matter much.
By AaaaNinja
My first carnivorous plant was the sundew Drosera adelae. I still have it, even, so I recommend that as a great beginner plant. The first time I thought it was dead, I cut all the plants to the dirt. I kept the dirt moist for some reason and about a month later, baby plants emerged. Now whenever I repot it, I just take the roots of the plant lay them out under the surface of the new potting medium. The roots send up new plants eventually, it's really like a weed.
By Jds
My first plants were venus flytraps and sarracenia ,they were easy to grow.I sold my sarracenia to get more flytraps.
I had a drosera capensis but it died completely,I waited for more than a month.At present I have capensis seedlings growing fine.I also have pinguiculas,nepenthes. :D
By plantdreamer
I want to thank all of you for such a warm welcome, and helpful information!

AaaaNinja: I never knew that any of these plants would be that hardy to be completely cut up and buried, only to rise up again.. haha. That's a survivor there. I admire that in anyone, especially a plant =)

A question for all of you.. Do all of the plants require either rain or distilled water, that rule applies to all carnivorous plants?

Jds: I'm sorry to hear about your plant that died. We learn from things, and improve for next time. Im glad your capensis seedlings are growing well. What was the time frame for them to germinate, and become a good size. Basically, what I want to know is are they fast growers?

I'll be posting up in the sales section veggie heirloom seeds, and cuttings of plants that I have, in the hopes of trading for some carnivorous. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me. I live in Northern Cali, weather here is good, never harsh in winter or summer.

I'm going to research information on all the plants that you've all mentioned so I can understand care parameters for them, and try to make as few mistakes as possible, while I care for them.

Talk to all of you soon!
By yellowjacket7
Some carnivorous plants can tolerate higher ppm measurements than others. If you don't have a Tds meter you should use distilled water and rain water only to be safe. I'm pretty sure ppm measurements under fifty are safe for all carnivorous plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yellowjacket7 liked this
By Jds
Yellowjacket7 is absolutely right.
You can even flush the media once in 2 months to avoid accumulation of minerals.
Drosera capensis is very fast grower,all of my seeds germinated within 15 days without sunlight (as here is raining continously and sky is always covered with clouds),it's the best carnivorous plant to grow from seed.
By plantdreamer
Thanks for the feedback! I do have a TDS meter and a PH meter. I'll locate some seeds and give it a shot. Two weeks isn't long. I'll be working with agar today, and sowing some veggie and ornamental seeds that I have, until I get a CP or CP seeds. You guys have a good weekend!

Kapahulu request D. Filiforms var Floridana, bonus[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome back https://media.tenor.com/images/5e88a[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Weird Pitchers, advice?

I'm concerned about all my plants and wondering if[…]

Anything that requires a dormancy, dry rest, or de[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!