FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Lord Death
Hi folks,

A few patches of what looks like white mould have started developing in my terrarium. I should stress that none of the plants are mouldy and that it's only on the surface of the moss peat. Do I just need to cut back on the water or does this require some sort of fungicide?

By Swizzy
I have the same thing. But my mould is more spread out and a bit lighter in colour. But looks all most the same. I need help on this to. I tryed removing the top of the soil but it comes back. I think it's when it gets hot it comes back. I am now trying to open the windows when I can to get air around them. I hope this works for me. If it does I let you know.
By KissMegan
I'm pretty certain fungicide doesn't kill mold. If you have a terrarium the number one thing you need is air circulation. That's really the only thing that's going to prevent the mold from growing.
If the mold gets deep into the medium I think the only way to kill it would be to let everything dry and your plants probably wouldn't like that.
I actually did an experiment to see what would happen to a D. Capensis if I grew it in an undrained container and allowed mold to grow. It lasted almost a year but I think the mold got to it eventually and it died. Mold = bad. Get rid of it asap :)
By jpappy789
Spraying a mix of isopropyl alcohol or peroxide diluted with CP-safe water may help. I have been using the alcohol spray to keep some mold at bay with seedling pots, but peroxide is probably stronger. Some people say that even misting with water is enough to get rid of mold. Another option is to dab it on with a Q-tip.

But as mentioned, definitely think about increasing circulation.
By Swizzy
kcbugs wrote:You need some springtails in your terrarium. Or isopods. Natures little cleanup crew. You can get either at any reputable vivarium supply store. NE Herp or Josh's Frogs come to mind.
what are thay never seen them in shops. I am from the UK.
jpappy789 wrote:Spraying a mix of isopropyl alcohol or peroxide diluted with CP-safe water may help. I have been using the alcohol spray to keep some mold at bay with seedling pots, but peroxide is probably stronger. Some people say that even misting with water is enough to get rid of mold. Another option is to dab it on with a Q-tip.

Where can i buy this I done a quicK search on it and it seems its a lot of muney. Will it damage the plant at all? I was thinking of trying to put little stones on the surface see if that would kill the mould
By kcbugs
Swizzy wrote:
kcbugs wrote:You need some springtails in your terrarium. Or isopods. Natures little cleanup crew. You can get either at any reputable vivarium supply store. NE Herp or Josh's Frogs come to mind.
what are thay never seen them in shops. I am from the UK.
jpappy789 wrote:Spraying a mix of isopropyl alcohol or peroxide diluted with CP-safe water may help. I have been using the alcohol spray to keep some mold at bay with seedling pots, but peroxide is probably stronger. Some people say that even misting with water is enough to get rid of mold. Another option is to dab it on with a Q-tip.

Where can i buy this I done a quicK search on it and it seems its a lot of muney. Will it damage the plant at all? I was thinking of trying to put little stones on the surface see if that would kill the mould
Springtails and isopods are just little bugs that eat the waste and decaying matter in soil. I don't think you would find them in a typical nursery. Google springtails for sale and see if can find any available in the UK. In terrariums, it is very necessary to have some friendly help with waste disposal.

You can spot treat with diluted alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (my choice between the two options), but I think you'll have less frustration with a more natural and continuous cleaning crew.

Good luck!

Edit to add: http://www.rickslivefood.co.uk/vmchk/Tr ... ducts.html
kcbugs liked this
By jpappy789
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and hydrogen peroxide can be found in pretty much any store with a "health" section...probably near bandaids, vitamins, etc. Shouldn't be that expensive. As I said, if you don't have a spare spray bottle you could spot treat with a Q-tip.

I haven't seen any damage to my Drosera seedlings. I used about a 1:2 or 1:3 mixture, but read of some doing almost 50/50 with adult plants.
jpappy789 liked this
By Maiden
I 100% agree with kissmegan; ventilation is the key :)

I never spray any products on my plants. Only water n light :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!