FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By aphrodite
Hello, again. First of all, I want to thank everyone that has commented on my past posts. My plant has really been doing well the past few months. We bought a cold light bulb and now it's been getting more light than ever. We haven't had the long stem issue anymore, and the insides of the traps are redder.

Unfortunately, I'm worried about dormancy. The plant is in South Florida (I am not there most of the time, but I can't bring plants into my dorm so it's staying at my house for the moment). The past week, we've been decreasing the photo period to try and get the plant ready for dormancy, as well as cutting off the black traps. However, I don't know if my plant is just dying or if it is preparing to go into dormancy, but I've noticed an increasing number of black traps. Even if it's not dying, I am panicking about the dormancy. I don't think there's a notable enough change in light to just be able to put my plant outside. I was considering the refrigerator method, but I'm wondering if it's too late to force the plant into dormancy.

My core questions:
1) Is the blackening of the leaves a dormancy thing or am I accidentally killing my plant?
2) Is it too late to put my plant into dormancy? If I skip dormancy this once, can the plant survive to next winter where, hopefully, it WILL be put into dormancy?
3) If it's not too late, what kind of fungicide should I use before storing my plant in the refrigerator? I read something somewhere about there being an issue with sulfur or copper-based fungicides, but I can't find anything in particular about it on this website.

Once again, I can't thank you guys enough for your help in keeping my plant alive. It's honestly been doing fantastic thanks to your advice. I hope it'll keep chugging on for a little while more, at least...

By katya_dog1
First off, nice plant! You have been taking very good care of it.

Blackening traps happens before it goes into dormancy. It's normal. The new growth will also sometimes get wider leafed (stemmed) and lower to the ground. Looks like it is already happening.
I can't answer the fungicide questions as I have never done it. I would personally recommend leaving the flytrap until it is completely dormant (6-10 hours of artificial light)

Just keep on doing what you're doing and it should finish going into dormancy. Good job with the VFT!
katya_dog1 liked this

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE sent on Thursday, sorry I completely spaced i[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1676. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!