FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ericsw
Hi

My vft stands in a north facing windows still, I live in South Africa. I use the tray method to water the plant. currently its flowering.

Three days ago I noticed the leaves getting brownish spots, see picture attached. Can anyone please shed some light on what the problem is and how I can fix it. I also noticed when it does catch an insect and some part of the insect is sticking out the trap develops a brown spot on the outer rim of the trap.

Any answers appreciated.
Attachments:
DSC_0460.JPG
DSC_0460.JPG (453.38 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
DSC_0459.JPG
DSC_0459.JPG (534.78 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
By ericsw
about 5 months now. had new traps all the time, since flowring it slowed down on new growth. used to grow under artificial light and then moved to window sill about a month ago.

I only give Reverse Osmosis water and rain water.
By bvalente
ericsw wrote:about 5 months now. had new traps all the time, since flowring it slowed down on new growth. used to grow under artificial light and then moved to window sill about a month ago.

I only give Reverse Osmosis water and rain water.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it needs more light. The leaves do not look like they have a lot of flesh to them and sort of look out stretched. The underdeveloped trap also is a good indicator. The reddening of the leaf could be some stress to natural sunlight, in a sense it is the leaf "tanning" itself to protect from the different light intensity. If I were you, I would let the plant continue to adjust to the more natural light near the window sill and if possible, bring it outside. There is no such thing as too much light for VFT and natural lighting is always better than artificial.
bvalente, bvalente, bvalente and 1 others liked this
By ericsw
thank you for the answers. as long as the plant isnt dying i am happy. all the traps on the plants now are from when the plant was under artificial light. no new traps have grown since it moved to the window. could that because the plant is flowering because the flower stem is almost 30cm in length.
By katya_dog1
Matt wrote:Everything bvalente wrote is exactly what I thought when I looked at the photo of the plant.
:lol: Me too!

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!