FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By divstarr
Hey everyone, Nice to meet you all!
As you can probably see I am new to this forum and have a poorly plant that I hope it's not too late to save.
My friend has given up on the thing and I wanted to give this amazing plant a better life.
I have read all the beginners guides so I know what to do, I just feel this plant needs emergency attention before I start.

What I know:
My friend has watered this plant for 4 months with tap water
It should have had at least 5 hours of light a day on kitchen windowsill
The leaves have little if not any red on the inside when they originally did
The traps them self have started to grow outwards with the hairs pointing out not in.

Is it too late?
Can I flush the soil in any way or should I prune the traps to keep it going?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

:)
Attachments:
10721116_10205297813188650_1929319275_n.jpg
10721116_10205297813188650_1929319275_n.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
954561_10205297806868492_111263884_n.jpg
954561_10205297806868492_111263884_n.jpg (109.14 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
By MrsMuscipula
Do you know what the potting media is? It might be worth repotting in fresh sphagnum peat moss/perlite mix. Water with distilled water.

If your climate allows it, keep it outside. Keep it in the shade first and slowly acclimate it to full sunlight. Looks like the plant has been a bit light-starved.

Overall, it doesn't look too bad. Just give it some love and time and it will bounce back!
By divstarr
Thank you for the quick response! Honestly I think it's just compost, so will look into repotting!
Do you know why the hairs (not sure if that's what there called) are facing out and not in like teeth?
Will get it in the light but I think London is a bit cold for it to be outside haha
Thanks
By cyph3r_gfy
divstarr wrote: Do you know why the hairs (not sure if that's what there called) are facing out and not in like teeth?
"Cilia" or the teeth (both of which are acceptable) can turn out like that during die off, and to me that is what it looks like. Die off can happen for any number of reasons, most of which you can control.

Now that it is yours, I would advise for your next few watering to give it a good flush. That will aid in removing a lot of the mineral build up and/or contaminants.

As for your soil: I would personally hold off re-potting for a while and try not to introduce too many changes at once. You could potentially knock out any suspect water problems with fresh media that you know to be correct, however.

Lastly: die off could occur because of a change in it's environment which also isn't uncommon. Each of us has our methods, and nobody is technically wrong. I'm a less is more person.

On the positive: I think I see a new leaf in the center, so that is certainly a good sign.

Certainly gather as much information as you can, before making a decision.
By Maiden
MrsMuscipula wrote:Do you know what the potting media is? It might be worth repotting in fresh sphagnum peat moss/perlite mix. Water with distilled water.

If your climate allows it, keep it outside. Keep it in the shade first and slowly acclimate it to full sunlight. Looks like the plant has been a bit light-starved.

Overall, it doesn't look too bad. Just give it some love and time and it will bounce back!
+1 Maria :) Great advice.

Also i like to add a bit of Canadian oak bark :)
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!