FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By InvisusRex
got my big mouth vft from cook's carnivorous plants today looks very heathly and is flowering size, it has already started division but the new growth isnt under the soil, its quite out of the ground, is this bad? would cut it off and replant it, but it doesnt have its own roots yet. anyways here is a pic:

and here is a pic of my typical vft i got from lowes a month ago, its made a great recovery from the horrid enviroment it was in:

as you can see only one of the old leaves are still there(the dying one), and although the first two new traps turned out dwarfed the two newest ones are looking great(the newest of which hasnt finished growing yet).
By Matt
InvisusRex wrote:got my big mouth vft from cook's carnivorous plants today looks very heathly and is flowering size, it has already started division but the new growth isnt under the soil, its quite out of the ground, is this bad? would cut it off and replant it, but it doesnt have its own roots yet.
Looks pretty healthy! I wouldn't worry about the division of growth not being under the soil. I had a division on my 'Cupped Trap' in a similar situation and it seems to have turned out ok now. You could try to just "push" some peat around the division to cover up the rhizome as best as you can. That's what I did and it seemed to work pretty well.
InvisusRex wrote:and here is a pic of my typical vft i got from lowes a month ago, its made a great recovery from the horrid enviroment it was in[...]as you can see only one of the old leaves are still there(the dying one), and although the first two new traps turned out dwarfed the two newest ones are looking great(the newest of which hasnt finished growing yet).
Yep, it looks like is it well on its way to recovery. Congrats on a successful rescue! :P
By WORMSS
Wow, how big is that mouth? wonder if it could eat these giant Moths I seem to have around here.
By thegirlnextdoor42
WORMSS wrote:Wow, how big is that mouth? wonder if it could eat these giant Moths I seem to have around here.
lol! Giant moths scare me so much! (i had a bad experience w/ them!)

Anyways, that is really big!! Ive never seen anything like that!
By grant
damn. now that is a big mouth :D

i just ordered a dutch and a red pirahana from cook's too. hope theyre in good shape. yours looks pretty good from the pic
By grant
Matt wrote:I hope you have better luck with Cook's than I did Grant. All of the plants I got from Cook's died within a couple of weeks. Keep me posted on your experience with them.
well, my order hasn't gone through yet. so i just emailed them and told them i changed my mind.

i also just emailed that other site you recomended. so hopefully they'll have some
By italo.americano
I tend to agree with Matt.
The plants at Cook's are terrible and their service is very bad. Most of the Dionaea that I have purchased from them has died.
For purchasing Dionaea I would highly recommend Steve D. @ http://www.flytrapranch.com or
David C. @ http://www.connerscarnivores.com
You can't go wrong with these vendors. They both sell great plants and are nice guys to deal with.

Giovanni
By thegirlnextdoor42
that is awesome!! how does it turn out that way!!??
By italo.americano
It's not that hard.Given the proper water, growing conditions and lots of sunlight, Dionaea 'Big Mouth' will produce traps that are 1 inch with a beautiful red-purple inside.
Big Mouth is still one of my all time favorites!

Giovanni
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!