FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By edwardyeeks
Why doesn't anyone talk about sarracenia species? Is it because nobody has it? :o

Cheers
By Matt
I'd love to talk more about Sarrs. I just don't have that many and I haven't done much reading in terms of caring for them. I plan on getting more when I finally get settled in a house again. At that point, I might add all kinds of information to the website about how to cultivate Sarrs. Also, I might enhance the forums a bit, but there is already a forum for Sarrs down near the bottom of the forum Board index.
By Pat
Hi, I would love to talk about sarras if you want to although I only have five of them.
By linton
Hi Edward, I have just bought some Sarracenia seeds on Ebay and am eagerly waiting for them to arrive. Have you tried growing them from seed?
By grant
what are sarracenia, by the way?

probably nobody talks about them too much, has to do with the URL name...
By Matt
grant wrote:what are sarracenia, by the way?
Sarracenia are commonly referred to as pitcher plants.
linton wrote:Hi Edward, I have just bought some Sarracenia seeds on Ebay and am eagerly waiting for them to arrive. Have you tried growing them from seed?
I have grown quite a few from seed I got from the ICPS seed bank. I've had decent luck, but the germination rate for them wasn't anywhere near as high as it was for my Dionaea seeds. I did the 4 weeks stratification as suggested by the instructions from the seed bank and then I sowed the seeds on peat moss. Germination took quite a long time, longer than for Dionaea I think, and germination rate was somewhere around 50% as compared to 90% for my VFT seed. Perhaps the seed I got from the seed bank was old though.
By Pat
Hi grant, This is a picture of one of my Sarracinias. It is a hybrid that I recieved from a fellow member of the ACPS.
carniflora008.jpg
carniflora008.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
By Carl
I'm going to see a good friend on Saturday who is a BIG Sarracenia grower and I'm hoping to get him to join here, if he does you will have loads to talk about. I'm talking 4000+ plants Just Sarra's
By Matt
I hope you do a good job recruiting Carl because I'd love to have someone like that on this site. I definitely want to expand the content on the site someday into Sarras, Droseras and Neps (at least) and it would be good to have someone with that kind of knowledge around.
By Pat
Hi matt. If you think that is a large amount of flowers have a look at this monster! :D
photos 9096.jpg
photos 9096.jpg (51.71 KiB) Viewed 6357 times

I think this is S.orephilla but I'm not quite sure. This belongs to another member who has a HUGE collection of plants.
By Matt
Holy cow! That must produce a bucket of seed in the fall. I can't believe how many flowers are on that thing. Looks like it is in desperate need of a repot. Do you know if that started as one plant and divided that much, or if was multiple plants to begin with before being put in the pot?
By edwardyeeks
That sarracenia looks like minor x flava......sarracenia produces more than one flower, Matt. The beauty is that sarracenia self pollinate their flowers, so there is always seeds a plenty. :lol: :lol: But I have never grown sarracenias from seeds before. I plan to get sarracenia minor 'Okee Giant' from one of my pals soon, hopefully........

Cheers

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!