FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Goodkoalie
Hi all, i have never really thought of my climate before, and if it good for my plants, and i am starting to think it its not that good. I live in centeral california, just south of Sacromento, our state capitol. It is a mederterrian climate, meaning most of our rain falls during the winter, with warm and dry summers. In the summer, highs routinlly reach above the hundreds, and this summer, for 10 days, their was a heat stretch of 110 degrees. Their is also a very low humidity, with 45% being very high, and no rain at all, pretty much.

In winter, the temps are lows of 45 degrees at night time, and highs of 60-75 degrees. It rains some during the winter, but not alot, mabey only a a few weeks of rain during the summer. Their are some light frosts, but they are very rare, there was only one or two last year.

I was wondering if my plants can live out here, and do good. I grow all my plants but my pings and seedlings outside.
By happiness
Sounds to me like you can keep them out in the winter. As long as they don't freeze over night .. which isn't likely with 45 degree weather, am I right? xD

And geez I thought 90 was hot! :-O
By Goodkoalie
happiness wrote:Sounds to me like you can keep them out in the winter. As long as they don't freeze over night .. which isn't likely with 45 degree weather, am I right? xD

And geez I thought 90 was hot! :-O
Thanks, here, during summer, when it is 90 degrees, we treat it like fall/winter.
By happiness
Oh! I forgot you have other Carnivorous plants as well, I'm not sure if those can take the frost, but I know Venus Flytraps can't. o_o (I'm so helpful, aren't I? *joke*)

I would love to not ever have to deal with the cold! :-D .. I'd miss the snow though.
By Goodkoalie
happiness wrote:Oh! I forgot you have other Carnivorous plants as well, I'm not sure if those can take the frost, but I know Venus Flytraps can't. o_o (I'm so helpful, aren't I? *joke*)

I would love to not ever have to deal with the cold! :-D .. I'd miss the snow though.
yeah, every one but me is happy their is no snow here, You are really helpful :D not to sound like a stalker, but where do you live, like in what state?

I know that atleast S. oreophila, and S. jonessii live in mountains, so they can handle snow. And i can cover my plants, when their is a frost. The winter, is ok, i would like it to be colder here,
By parker679
Goodkoalie wrote:
happiness wrote:Oh! I forgot you have other Carnivorous plants as well, I'm not sure if those can take the frost, but I know Venus Flytraps can't. o_o (I'm so helpful, aren't I? *joke*)

yeah, every one but me is happy their is no snow here, You are really helpful :D not to sound like a stalker, but where do you live, like in what state?

I know that atleast S. oreophila, and S. jonessii live in mountains, so they can handle snow. And i can cover my plants, when their is a frost. The winter, is ok, i would like it to be colder here,
You really only need to cover them during what they call "hard frosts" which is when the night temperature goes several degrees below freezing and for a few hours. When it's just dipping down to the low 30's for a few hours you should be fine.

I only cover my plants during frosts that come in late winter / early spring when the plants are showing new growth that may get damaged. The rest of the winter they stay uncovered and I've seen everything covered in frost more times than I can count.

This applies to all Dionaea, Sarracenia, temperate Drosera, and I'm sure some others.
parker679 liked this
By InebriatedFelon
I grow most of my sarracenia and dionaea out on my roof here in San Francisco. If it wasn't so windy all the time I would be able to put my drosera outside also. We have perfect weather or Darlingtonia and I am working on acclimating a cephalotus to outdoor weather here.
By happiness
Goodkoalie wrote:

Why thank you! You are very helpful yourself. :D :D I live in PA at the moment, I saw a lot of snow last year. :D
By dyCSUS
Goodkoalie wrote:Hi all, i have never really thought of my climate before, and if it good for my plants, and i am starting to think it its not that good. I live in centeral california, just south of Sacromento, our state capitol. It is a mederterrian climate, meaning most of our rain falls during the winter, with warm and dry summers. In the summer, highs routinlly reach above the hundreds, and this summer, for 10 days, their was a heat stretch of 110 degrees. Their is also a very low humidity, with 45% being very high, and no rain at all, pretty much. <BR sab="933"><BR sab="934">In winter, the temps are lows of 45 degrees at night time, and highs of 60-75 degrees. It rains some during the winter, but not alot, mabey only a a few weeks of rain during the summer. Their are some light frosts, but they are very rare, there was only one or two last year. <BR sab="935"><BR sab="936">I was wondering if my plants can live out here, and do good. I grow all my plants but my pings and seedlings outside.
I live in Sacramento! :D I think a simple shade cloth and proper watering should do the trick when it comes to the heat. I'm a new grower and grow some sarracenias outside and so far so good. Well steve from flytrapranch grows in like the desert and he does fine. Hope that makes you feel a little better

but yea that 10 day heat wave was murder...
dyCSUS liked this
By Goodkoalie
dyCSUS wrote:
Goodkoalie wrote:Hi all, i have never really thought of my climate before, and if it good for my plants, and i am starting to think it its not that good. I live in centeral california, just south of Sacromento, our state capitol. It is a mederterrian climate, meaning most of our rain falls during the winter, with warm and dry summers. In the summer, highs routinlly reach above the hundreds, and this summer, for 10 days, their was a heat stretch of 110 degrees. Their is also a very low humidity, with 45% being very high, and no rain at all, pretty much. <BR sab="933"><BR sab="934">In winter, the temps are lows of 45 degrees at night time, and highs of 60-75 degrees. It rains some during the winter, but not alot, mabey only a a few weeks of rain during the summer. Their are some light frosts, but they are very rare, there was only one or two last year. <BR sab="935"><BR sab="936">I was wondering if my plants can live out here, and do good. I grow all my plants but my pings and seedlings outside.
I live in Sacramento! :D I think a simple shade cloth and proper watering should do the trick when it comes to the heat. I'm a new grower and grow some sarracenias outside and so far so good. Well steve from flytrapranch grows in like the desert and he does fine. Hope that makes you feel a little better

but yea that 10 day heat wave was murder...
it was, what types of sarrs do you grow? Did you go to that plant sale? I got some nice plants from their
By dyCSUS
Goodkoalie wrote: it was, what types of sarrs do you grow? Did you go to that plant sale? I got some nice plants from their
I grow S. Cobra Nest, S. Tarnok, S. Daina's Delight, Purpurea, and S. Catesbaie. Yes, I did go to the sale. I was surprised to find out that Barsch Tropicals (one of the vendors at the sale) is a local grower and sells plants at the downtown farmer's market every sunday. It's nice to have CPs available so close by.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!