FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By gcaver
I currently have my VFT growing in straight LFS, but I've only had it for about 2 months. I recently discovered this site and found the recipe for the peat/perlite/sand substrate mixture, which seems to be very popular with everyone around here.

What are the downsides to growing VFT's in pure LFS as opposed to using the mixutre soil? Lack of root aeration or what? Thanks guys!
By jwbates26
The issue isn't what's better because you'll get both answers depending on who you talk to. Beginners are usually recommended some sort or peat based mix. Peat mixes tend to dry out much slower then lfs, so its less maintenance while pure lfs needs to be monitored more because it dries out much quicker especially on hot dry days. Since it dries out quickly, it sometimes catches new growers by surprise and by then the damage has been done. Over watering is sometimes an issue as well but that can go for both. Again, some will say peat base mixes are better and others will say sphagnum. I've grown in both and I've seen some amazing flytraps growing in both.

Heres a good topic to read.
By Matt
Jason summed it up pretty well. Like him, I've seen amazing flytraps grown in both. Choosing your medium really comes down to your growing conditions and care techniques. Flytraps will grow well in either LFS or a peat/sand/perlite mix. It's a matter of preference which one (or other media) you choose to use.
Matt liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!