FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By rellenburg
I know it's not a cp, but its my first attempt at tc ;). I started 5 explants of hibiscus syriacus on 8-16 and this is the only one that survived contamination. I currently have it on full strength MS with vitamins, 2mg/l NAA, 1mg/l BA. It looks as though it has formed callus?? I plan to replate and try to induce shoot formation, but not certain what to use. An article I found on the plant recommends MS with 0.1mg/l NAA, 1mg/l 2iP, and 1mg/l BA, however, I do not have 2iP and do not want to place another order at this time. I have BA, NAA, IBA, and Kinetin to work with. I'm thinking maybe just leave off the 2iP and go with 0.1mg/l NAA and 1mg/l BA. Any suggestions for the replate?

By sativ
Isopentyladenine is vey weak cytokinine. Leaving it off completely shouldn't have big infuence- however- there is something called cytokinines synenergism. I would add 0,1mg of kinetin instead of 2iP.

That medium is for shoot formation?

At first i would multiply a little bit these callus, just let it grow bigger with observation. It's just startin to form, medium looks well. And pararelly run 10-20 new explants with modified sterylisation. Next, try this publication based medium, and some "own shots"- 2mg kinetin 0,2 IBA, 1mg KIN 0,1mg BAP 0,1 NAA. I would avoid BAP while getting off from callus- but it is just personal choice.

Remember also that half of "scientific works" don't have big value, and results are sometimes hard to copy. Best option is to follow plant growth and just react to observations ;)
By rellenburg
At first i would multiply a little bit these callus, just let it grow bigger with observation. It's just startin to form, medium looks well. And pararelly run 10-20 new explants with modified sterylisation. Next, try this publication based medium, and some "own shots"- 2mg kinetin 0,2 IBA, 1mg KIN 0,1mg BAP 0,1 NAA. I would avoid BAP while getting off from callus- but it is just personal choice.

Thanks for he help! So, making sure I understand your advice...

1. Allow the callus to continue to grow for a bit and start more explants on the media that I used to start this one:
MS
2mg/l NAA
1mg/l BAP

2. When a significant amount of callus has formed then replate on 2 different formulas to test for best shoot formation:
MS MS
2mg/l KIN 1mg/l KIN
0.2 mg/l IBA 0.1 mg/l BAP
0.1 mg/l NAA

Is this your recommendation?
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!