FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By AshG
Found this today at Lowes:

Smallest bag they had, and it weighs like 50#. My 9 year old son had to help me get it out of the truck, and I had to set it on the passenger seat of the truck since the back was full of groceries...it set off the sensor in the seat and I had to put the seatbelt around it, lol.

I hadn't really intended on buying this much, but it was like $10 for the bag so not too bad.

I came up blank on the Perlite. All they had was the Miracle-Gro perlite with the nice big "ENRICHED" lettering - so I skipped it. I'm thinking of running styrofoam cups through my food processor to make up for it - good idea or no?

ETA: Dollar General has ceramic pots on sale for 25-50% off - picked up a few while I was getting laundry soap, etc. They don't have holes in the bottom but they are really cutesy :)
By CPcaregiver
Nice find! I can never find any "useable" peat/sphagnum at my lowes, lucky you...
The blended styrofoam idea will work just as well as perlite, I might even do that!
I would advise against the ceramic pots--ceramic dries CP soil too quickly, and leaches salts in the soil.
By cyph3r_gfy
The only thing I'd say about the ceramic pots, is: are they completely glazed, or unglazed inside? I'd be concerned with leeching increasing your ppm, I use them personally but mine are large and seem to not harm the plants for as long as I've used them. My oldest plants are in them, however, I do a media change with them every spring.

If you have a pool supply store nearby, you may be better off buying a bag of pool filter sand, it's generally inexpensive (6$-15$) and also 50lb.
By AshG
They are completely glazed, not like terra cotta. I don't care for terra cotta pots since they dry out so fast. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have drainage, but I can fix that with a ceramic drill bit. :) They are really cutesy too. Haha.

inside:

The irony got me to get this one:

Not bad for $0.75 each or lower (got one of them for 25 cents)

CP, try outdoors in the back of the plants. That's where I found this bag. Nowhere near the perlite or other things, it's for organic gardening? Dunno, but it was outside in the very back. Also, it didn't need to be sifted, as there wasn't much, if any, large chunks of matter in it. Very fine peat moss.

I'm not sure about pool supply places here, pools aren't very common due to our very short summer and cold temps. Most pools are above ground here, the kind you fill with a hose.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!