FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By mentall007
Hi All.

I have read on a lot of website, to uses only dis-still water, or rain water. I would like to know how often shold I water my VFT

Also would it be ok to uses boil tap water, that has cool down.

Mentalll
By Matt
Hello Mentall,

During the growing season, the soil of your VFT should be kept wet at all times. I keep my plants in 4 inch pots with about an inch of standing water in their water trays.

Using boiled water is NOT a good idea. What you are trying to avoid is the dissolved solids in the water. By boiling the water, you will actually increase the amount of dissolved solids because some of the pure water will evaporate and the dissolved solids will remain. If you can test your tap water with a TDS (total dissolved soilds) meter, and it is below 100 ppm, then your tap water would be ok to use, but my guess is that it won't be good.

If you only have one or a few plants, you can purchase distilled water. It is only about 60 cents a gallon at Wal-Mart.
By mentall007
Hi Matt

Thanks for you help.

Where would I buy a TDS from to test my water. I would like to water my VFT rainwater, But it has not rain in a few days.
Would it be ok to water my VFT mineral water.

Where is the best place to keep it. I mean indoors.

How often do you feed yours, and what bugs do you feed your venue fly trap.
By Matt
mentall007 wrote:Where would I buy a TDS from to test my water.
I can't remember exactly where I got mine, but I think it cost about $15-$20 (including shipping). This is the one that I have:
http://www.allwatermeters.com/hm-tds-4.html
mentall007 wrote:Where is the best place to keep it. I mean indoors.
In a very sunny windowsill. If you don't have a windowsill that gets at least 4 hours of direct sunlight, you might consider putting it under fluorescent lights.
mentall007 wrote:How often do you feed yours, and what bugs do you feed your venue fly trap.
I never feed mine. I have them outside and they catch all of their own food. It's amazing how good they are at it. Most of my full grown flytraps catch at least a bug a week. If you prefer to feed the plant yourself, don't over do it. I would recommend feeding it maybe once or twice a month. Any type of insect will do, spiders and earwigs are what my plants most commonly catch.
By WORMSS
I have a big tray below my plant pot, which I always make sure ALWAYS has water, and I put the water in the tray, rather than putting the water on the soil.

Not sure if this is the best way to do it or not, but My First Plant Really loved it.. [until I taken my Uncles advice and ended up killing it]
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!