FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By sbrooks
Up to this point, feeding my seedlings has involved tiny spiders and gnats, both of which are fairly reluctant participants. Now that milkweed vines are flourishing in my area (Midwest US), there is a type of slow-moving, defenseless yellow aphid that hangs out on milkweed vine. Like plucking candy from a baby's mouth.....and sticking it in the mouth of another baby.
By Steve_D
--Unless the aphids, which are one of the worst enemies of Venus Flytraps, begin to suck the juice from the Venus Flytraps, lay tiny live baby aphids that escape the jaws of the traps and which then begin to feed on the plant and deposit more live babies as well, then concentrate on sucking from the newest and most tender leaf growth, crippling and deforming the emerging leaves and taking over the Venus Flytrap seedlings, turning them into aphid nurseries. :)
By sbrooks
Concern well taken, and appreciated. From everything I have read, this particular yellow aphid is akin only to the milkweed plant. Of course, like any species placed in a new environment, who knows what adaptations may occur? For now, I'm taking my chances and trying to be careful not to leave any survivors. Any suggestions on live food that is historically benign to Dionaea Muscipula seedlings would be appreciated.
By Steve_D
Like Dionae's, my tiny seedlings' first meals usually consist of fungus or soil gnats, both of which are benign to Venus Flytraps (except that there are some reports that some types of soil gnat larvae can or do nibble on tender roots).
Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!