FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By clintosaurus
My venus flytrap has been growing two new traps, but one of them has a black spot on it. When I bought the plant, it had a new flytrap that was close to opening. As it did however, it developed black spots on the end, and didn't fully open, but it still has green on it. The other traps aren't turning black, just new growth. Why? I thought it might be because I introduced it to direct sun immediately, but shouldn't new growth be adapted to the sunlight?
By pieguy452
A picture would help :)

clintosaurus wrote:shouldn't new growth be adapted to the sunlight?
Usually, but sometimes the plant sends up new traps that still can't handle the intensity of the sun and they may burn as well.
By BenWilliam
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post103603.html

I had awful problems with black spot fungus that would only attack new growth, not exisiting leaves. They began as a little black spot, but grew as the leaf grew, and deformed it completely.

A fungacide eventually fixed the problem, but if i could relive my time, I would have thrown them out to save it from spreading. They weren't worth saving.

So first things first, if this is one of a number of plants, then isolate this one so it doesn't spread. If it does appear to be Blackspot, and you do want to save them, then a fungacide will need to be applied liberally. Also bear in mind any side affects that this has in the plant. This fungus is seriously crap! If this is what you have (and you're not too attached to the plant) then throw it out, plant, soil and all. It will save you more heartache in the long term.

*Edit: a photo would be a great help to indentify your problem
By clintosaurus
The larger deformed trap was okay when I bought it, but when I purchased it from safeways, it was in very dim light. After I purchased it I put it in direct sun. Also, whats that red spot on the large green trap?
Attachments:
004.JPEG
004.JPEG (40.94 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
003.JPEG
003.JPEG (44.17 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
002.JPEG
002.JPEG (42.65 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
001.JPEG
001.JPEG (36.01 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
By BenWilliam
This is Blackspot. Personally, I would throw out the plant (it breaks my heart).

Also, start to keep the soil a bit drier, perhaps only water away from the crown - or water sparingly from below.

If you can't possibly discard the plant, then start by cutting off the affected leaves to control the spread. This fungus usually only attacks new growth, it can't infest existing growth. Pick yourself up a fungacide such as the one below, and give a little spray to the plant (focusing on new growth in the crown). It will take a while to completely rid yourself of it, the fungacide can have adverse affects on the plant too (such as traps not closing properly). Also may pay to take a look at plants around the home, because more often than not, this would have been caught from another plant with proximity to it.

Image Image

But seriously, consider throwing it out and starting again. Unfortunately, thats me best (and cheapest) advice.
By clintosaurus
Dangit! Ya i guess i will throw it out. I only have one other plant. I hope it does well. if not, i will buy a big vigorous. If that doesnt survive, im done with vfts. I just cant get them to live.
By Jaws
clintosaurus wrote:Dangit! Ya i guess i will throw it out. I only have one other plant. I hope it does well. if not, i will buy a big vigorous. If that doesnt survive, im done with vfts. I just cant get them to live.
http://www.flytrapcare.com/

If you follow the advice in the links on that page you should have no problems.
By clintosaurus
Ya i have been following advice from there. Aswell, there are no plants inside, so it couldn't have gotten the fungus from anything but outside. This stuff also showed up three days after I purchased it, so I bet it caught it from the other venus flytraps it was with.

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE sent on Thursday, sorry I completely spaced i[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1676. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!