FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By meggykawsek
Hi All! I just bought a new venus flytrap and we've had it for almost 3 days now, only it's starting to look a bit sick. Some of the leaves are already browning and I'm starting to get worried. Please see picture attached.

I went through the forums and figured it might be the water. When I bought it I was told to keep it in a basin of distilled or rain water, and I've been doing that, except I think I've been overwatering. Took it out just now and put it out in the sunlight to see if it'll get better. I've also noticed that some leaves are all green while others have a reddish tinge. Not sure if that's normal either.

It might all just be paranoia though-- but I'd appreciate any diagnostic and tips to keep it healthy. I live in a tropical country with plenty of sunlight, and it's hot all-year round. Thanks!
Attachments:
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (84 KiB) Viewed 3094 times
By Strobo
Can you maybe give some extra information about how you bought it? Local shop, shipping order?
Did you put it immediately in exposure of full sunlight or gradually?
Stuff like that..
By 0rmus
Ok, few things i can tell from your picture.

Firstly the plant looks OK. Older leaves die off naturally so the plant can use its energy to support newer growth. Leaves could be dieing off early due to overwatering. Its best to let VFTs get to the dry side of moist before rewatering from the bottom with a tray to promote healthy root growth and to help prevent nasties growing in your medium.

Secondly, it looks live you have 'two' plants in that pot. Its hard to tell for sure from the picture but it looks to me like there is atleast one other well established division growing.

Also the red in your plants is likely nothing to worry about but a natural pigmentation. Most VFTs show atleast some red during their development. The amount of red pigment varies depending on genetics, enviroment and stage of growth cycle.

Lastly i notice a little browning along the edges of some leaves. As you have been using distilled/rain water its likely caused by sun burn. I wouldn't worry about it as the new growth will likely be hardend to stronger sunlight.
0rmus liked this
By meggykawsek
@Strobo I bought it from a local provider and picked it up myself. The place is called Puentespina Orchids, they're primarily an orchid seller but they also hold carnivorous plants. Their website here: http://orchid.ph/products.php?category_id=9

In the store it was already put in a planter with other venus flytraps. The planter had a bit of water in it and the entire setup was placed outdoors (granted it was a cloudy day when I came to pick it up... I don't know how much sun it had had previously). When we brought it home we left it next to a window facing the east so that it could get sunlight as the sun comes up. There was no gradual exposure.

@Ormus, Thank you so much for your diagnostic. I've taken a look at it and removed a small weed I found on the side of the plant. Letting it dry a bit before the next watering. Thank you so much for your tips, they're very much appreciated.
By 0rmus
leaving them in a tray can be ok on a clear sunny day if its going to be spending most of its time in direct sunlight as it will stop them drying out. When it cools off it should be taken out of the tray again. The tray method is good for when you must leave your plants on a roasting day because its a sure way to stop them being crisp when you get back.

A lot of people and nurseries leave them sitting in trays simply because its easier than monitoring the moisture of the pots. The problem with this is it saturates the roots and they can't get as much air. Also the constant high levels of moisture encourages rott, mold and other nasties.

Watering from the bottom with a dry out period allows the roots to get the air and water it needs while encouraging the roots to grow in search of more moisture. And as mr miyagi would say, the key to a good plant is ''good root''. It also makes it harder for mold, algea and other nasties to propagate in your medium.

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!