FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By jamez
All of them aren't CP's. I grow my own fruit and vegetables. I also raise cattle for food. I do have a fairly large collection though. I have like 100 of every decent clone now. ranges from small-x large(fully mature, I say mature is when they flower at lest 5 times). I have a lot of sundews too. they make so many seeds. I don't even label them. Most of them are mixes anyways. But yeah the greenhouse is a 30x90 matterhorn. I don't have to many Sarracenia. I do have 5 Leah Wilkersons Which are my prized possesions. I also have a lot of purpureas. I rule out most clones and find the best ones to grow and I either sell the ones i dont want them to friends for their kids or recklesly plant them in my peat field and if they make it they do and if they dont they dont.

So yeah I dont have pics, but I have a decent sized Dionaea and Sundew collections with a small amount of sarracenia (not even 500 plants).
By pieguy452
jamez wrote:All of them aren't CP's. I grow my own fruit and vegetables. I also raise cattle for food. I do have a fairly large collection though. I have like 100 of every decent clone now. ranges from small-x large(fully mature, I say mature is when they flower at lest 5 times). I have a lot of sundews too. they make so many seeds. I don't even label them. Most of them are mixes anyways. But yeah the greenhouse is a 30x90 matterhorn. I don't have to many Sarracenia. I do have 5 Leah Wilkersons Which are my prized possesions. I also have a lot of purpureas. I rule out most clones and find the best ones to grow and I either sell the ones i dont want them to friends for their kids or recklesly plant them in my peat field and if they make it they do and if they dont they dont.

So yeah I dont have pics, but I have a decent sized Dionaea and Sundew collections with a small amount of sarracenia (not even 500 plants).

That's a lot of plants :shock:

I have to see it to believe it my friend :)
By jamez
pieguy452 wrote:
jamez wrote:All of them aren't CP's. I grow my own fruit and vegetables. I also raise cattle for food. I do have a fairly large collection though. I have like 100 of every decent clone now. ranges from small-x large(fully mature, I say mature is when they flower at lest 5 times). I have a lot of sundews too. they make so many seeds. I don't even label them. Most of them are mixes anyways. But yeah the greenhouse is a 30x90 matterhorn. I don't have to many Sarracenia. I do have 5 Leah Wilkersons Which are my prized possesions. I also have a lot of purpureas. I rule out most clones and find the best ones to grow and I either sell the ones i dont want them to friends for their kids or recklesly plant them in my peat field and if they make it they do and if they dont they dont.

That's a lot of plants :shock:

I have to see it to believe it my friend :)
I'm really not trying to convince anything to anyone. I'm just saying what I had. I'm not in it for the publicity, "oh James has so many plants, big traps" etc, I grow for my own personal pleasure and I think as long as I know what my collection is then I'm good.
But, I am trying to tell people that getting a large collections isn't hard and/or large plants isn't either if you follow the correct care instructions. There are no secrets to venus flytrap care. Just the main things and keeping them constant and not messing up to often will result in a healthy plant.
Some people believe in Quality over quantity but I like having both for plants.
By pieguy452
jamez wrote: I'm really not trying to convince anything to anyone. I'm just saying what I had. I'm not in it for the publicity, "oh James has so many plants, big traps" etc, I grow for my own personal pleasure and I think as long as I know what my collection is then I'm good.
I understand if you would like to keep it to yourself :)

jamez wrote:But, I am trying to tell people that getting a large collections isn't hard and/or large plants isn't either if you follow the correct care instructions. There are no secrets to venus flytrap care. Just the main things and keeping them constant and not messing up to often will result in a healthy plant.
True
By jamez
pieguy452 wrote:
jamez wrote: I'm really not trying to convince anything to anyone. I'm just saying what I had. I'm not in it for the publicity, "oh James has so many plants, big traps" etc, I grow for my own personal pleasure and I think as long as I know what my collection is then I'm good.
I understand if you would like to keep it to yourself :)

jamez wrote:But, I am trying to tell people that getting a large collections isn't hard and/or large plants isn't either if you follow the correct care instructions. There are no secrets to venus flytrap care. Just the main things and keeping them constant and not messing up to often will result in a healthy plant.
True
I wouldn't say keeping it to myself, but more so when people want pics and i can't provide them, it doesnt bother me when they say they don't belive me or they doubt me or they need pics, because I'm growing for personal pleasure and myself and when I want to see my plants I can just walk out to the greenhouse/barbecue house.
By parker679
jamez wrote:...I have a lot of sundews too. they make so many seeds. ...
This is very true. Though so far I've mostly only dealt with D. filiformis.

I do envy the space you have available for growing. Currently I can only put my plants in my front yard so that they get enough sun, I'm pretty sure I'm pushing the limits on the amount of clutter out there my wife will tolerate.
By 209
parker679 wrote:Currently I can only put my plants in my front yard so that they get enough sun, I'm pretty sure I'm pushing the limits on the amount of clutter out there my wife will tolerate.
You could turn it into a carnivorous landscape. Go go fractal patterns?
By jamez
209 wrote:
parker679 wrote:Currently I can only put my plants in my front yard so that they get enough sun, I'm pretty sure I'm pushing the limits on the amount of clutter out there my wife will tolerate.
You could turn it into a carnivorous landscape. Go go fractal patterns?

Were you talking to me?

I'm selling the house and the carnivorous plants are being sold with the property. So I can show them and say wow, where'd these come from????

nah, but really I'll just tell them that they come with the house. The greenhouse does too. I'm moving to CA next year.
Uh. That's not where that goes.

So there appears to be traps growing out of an old[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot.[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Hey, everyone!

Welcome :D :D :D

Starter Incredible Redhulk?

Hi Hi! Did anyone happen to take pictures of their[…]

Cape Alba

My only Cape “Alba” sundew that surviv[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!