FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By jimlard
Hello, I have got a grasp on the growing media suitable for fly traps but I'm still a bit unsure about planting containers. My understanding is the container should be fairly deep to allow for root space and well insulated to keep roots cool, am I on the right lines?
I was thinking of using two sizes of plastic pots, I would plant my fly trap inside a 5" pot in suitable media, then place the 5" pot inside a 7" pot and fill the inch gap between the two with soil or perlite. The inch gap should give ample insulation for the fly trap roots, can anyone see anything wrong with this method please? Or is there an easier way?
Many thanks.
By sundew
5 inches wide? that is wide enough to keep the roots from over heating, especially if it is white.
By Steve_D
Placing one pot inside another, with drainage in both and plastic packing "peanuts" or something else between (something that won't wash out the drain hole of the larger pot) is a fine way to insulate the growing medium and root zone of the Flytrap. Taller pots are better than wider pots, because Venus Flytrap roots grow downward much more than horizontally or diagonally-downward. 5 to 8 inches of depth will allow the roots plenty of room to develop and be comfortable. :)

If be careful about putting it against the shed. I[…]

Drosera seedlings moldy

Hit them lightly with a fungicide. I use Bioadvanc[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Uh. That's not where that goes.

Are you feeding that thing any weird fertilizers[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Hey, everyone!

Welcome :D :D :D

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!