FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Chhewy
Hey guys,
Had a quick question about my Fine Tooth X Red and my big mouth fly trap. I took them outside and was going about doing the let the leafs burn and new growth will be acclimated method, but now they both don't look too good. What I'm wondering is should i just bring them inside or leave them outside and hope that they will start to grow again. I can tell the Fine Tooth is in pretty bad shape. I dont know if bringing it back in and placing it back at my window sill with artifical lighting would benefit it since it seems like the damage is done. They have been outside for about 2 weeks to 3 weeks. Thank for the input guys. Here are some pictures
Fine Tooth X Red
Big Mouth
By parker679
I say split the difference and move them to an area that gets a little less sun. Or an area that gets mostly morning sun and more shade in the afternoon and slowly move it out to get more sun. You've already done most of the damage so no point in taking it inside and starting over.

It looks like there is new growth so that's always good. As long as the new growth isn't turning brown on you you're fine.
By Matt
The Fine Tooth x Red appears to be not fully potted (i.e. the rhizome is partially out of the soil). This may be why it is struggling a bit. I agree with what parker wrote about how to care for them, but I'd also try to nestle the Fine Tooth x Red down into the soil a bit further.
By Steve_D
There is often a stall in growth just after a flowerstalk is produced, so it might be a couple weeks before you see leaves emerging from a new growing point (the flowerstalk was the end of the previous growing crown). Just give the plant good care, let it have all the time it needs, and don't worry too much. It will need to acclimate to its new environment, its roots will need to become comfortable in the new medium, and the plant will start growing nicely again probably within a few weeks. :)
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!