FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Vern
I've had these guys in a hermit crab container for about half a year when I was first given to me by a good friend. They looked pretty swell in the container until I found this website and the sundew started to grow larger. This weekend I finally got to moving them into actual pots with drainage holes.

This is the prison they were living in during the winter: Ok for me since humidity in my house is horribly dry and that was my main concern when I first received them.

Side view

Now they each have their own pot except one because I accidentally stepped on it while the wind was blowing and I cracked it during the middle of it. Each pot is about 4inchs tall. I used 1:1 LSM and perlite, though perhaps I should have used less perlite.

Sundew
Small Sundew
Inch tall venus
Sorry no pot for you

The small hermit crab terrarium is now going to be used for the the sole purpose of growing sphagnum moss, or at least my attempt in it.
The red window pot is for later use when the summer months come by, and I want to leave them outside with white perlite, for now it holds my distilled water jug.

My greatest surprise was how small the venus flytrap underneath all the moss. Its only just barely an inch tall, the rhizome base was so small I worried that it would suffer from desiccation in the pot since it was so hard to cover. How old would you estimate the VFT to be, just curious.

They are all currently covered with by bottle domes to keep them from drying out and looking so miserable in my house. Its too windy to keep them outside and its still very dry in my house.

Any suggested improvements for next time?
Uh. That's not where that goes.

Are you feeding that thing any weird fertilizers[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot.[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Hey, everyone!

Welcome :D :D :D

Starter Incredible Redhulk?

Hi Hi! Did anyone happen to take pictures of their[…]

Cape Alba

My only Cape “Alba” sundew that surviv[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!