FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Hello flytrapcare community!!!

How do I make 10% Bleach?,how do i make 91% ethanol alcohol?
Do i need a 100ml beaker in order to make the 10% Bleach & the 91% ethanol alcohol?

i guess it works like that: 100% of sterile water minus 10% of sterile water plus 10% of bleach= 10% of bleach, is this right?

is it the same for ethanol alcohol: 100% of ethanol alcohol minus 9% of ethanol alcohol plus 9% of sterile water= 91% of ethanol alcohol, is this right?

Please help, i'm buying the materials, i'm using tissue culture for seeds late in june, just making sure this think is right,

Thank you!!!!!
Last edited by jht-union on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By goldslinger
1 part household 5% bleach (clorox)
9 parts water = 10% bleach solution. Needs to be used soon when made as the chlorine will gas off in open container.

91% alcohol (isopropyl) already comes that way; no mixing or diluting required. They are appearing on the shelves at Grocery and Drugstores across the U.S. recently.

I take it that You are going to use it as a dip for the VFT seeds?
You can also use 70% which is more prevalent. Just read the labels on the bottles You buy. It will say either 70% or 91%. You use them both straight up; no diluting.

Ethenol is the drinking type of alcohol and is the safest, but costly unless You are making Your own 'shine.'

I use 70% for explant dip (if I even do it) and 91% for tool sterilization soak.
Gary
goldslinger liked this
By jht-union
Thanks Gary! yes, i'm going to use it for VFT seeds in june, i'm just making sure i understand the concept before proceeding to buy the materials.

Thank you for helping me! =D
By Multiclone
I have found this 10% bleach mentioned over the last couple of months slightly confusing. The terminology being used can be confusing for a beginner.
Bleach bought from a swimming pool shop is 10%. Bleach bought from a grocery store is usually 4-5%.
1 ml of 5% added to 9ml water = 0.5% bleach solution.
1ml of 10% added to 9ml water = 1.0% bleach solution.
Geoff
Multiclone liked this
By goldslinger
Hi, Geoff!

Yes, You are right, its just that when mentioned for hobbyists (in the USA), I think when they say 10% bleach solution, they just mean 10% clorox bleach (found everywhere) and 90% water. It's just a simple instruction.

I'm glad You clarified that, though, because this site is International and strengths will vary. I think Our Clorox is 6% if I remember correctly.

Gary
goldslinger liked this
By composer
Wow Im happy that I found this thread. I was just one step from starting to sterialize my seeds when I decided to do a last check-up. And now Im not so sure anymore. How can I know if my bleach is regular bleach or clorox bleach??? Is says "less than 5%" on the bottle, but I have no idea if thats 5% bleach or 5% clorox bleach.
By sativ
It has "less than 5%" of hypochlotire inside- dillute it once again to get 5-10%. In case of using 5% buffer pH near 7- it was sterylising agent i used for years, before NaDCC age ;). [KH2PO4 buffering]

70% EtOH has better antimicrobal actvity, and it's still inflammable;) It's a guy we use every day. Only for preparing stable solutions of some antibiotics 98%EtOH will be needed.
By dToad
Clorox is a brand name of bleach in North America.

Bleach here usually comes as 5% - 6% sodium hypochlorite solution.

For ease of use, the term 10% bleach is used for 1 part bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite) and 9 parts water. The final concentration is 0.5% sodium hypochlorite .
By composer
Thanks for clarifying that! Now I can get started. I suppose this concentration is for sterializing the seeds. What concentration of bleach should I use for spraying the inside of my flow hood? I have read many places that ethanol will crack pexiglass.
By dToad
According to this, bleach is OK. I'd use the same 10% solution and give it ten minutes to sterilize the pexiglass. No guarantees - I don't use it.

k-mac-plastics.net/data%20sheets/​chemresistancechart.pdf

Further reading revealed that Clorox Commercial Solutions sells Dispatch, a 10% bleach solution to hospitals for use on pexiglass and other surfaces. The MSDS states that is is less than 1% sodium hypoclorite, so use the same mix as for seed and explant sterilization. They claim that it kills most bacteria and viruses in less than a minute, and is EPA-registered to kill C.difficile spores in 5 minutes. My guess above seems to be accurate.

http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/produ ... -a-glance/
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!