FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By JohnnyZ
So my flytraps have been sitting in my garage for the last 2 months on the garage floors at temperatures of between 40-55 degrees for the most part. They are getting a 9 hour photoperiod and are being kept moist, so I think I am doing everything that needs to be done correctly, but some of my plants have been dying off... I'm not sure what is causing it, but the growth point will just turn black and it will spread to the rest of the plant and kill it. It doesn't look like mold that I can see, where is would be white or anything like that. Is there anything that I am missing? Because I don't want to kill all of my plants :( Here are some pictures if that helps. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Attachments:
image_2.jpeg
image_2.jpeg (79.45 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Are these plants looking OK for being dormant?
Are these plants looking OK for being dormant?
image_1.jpeg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
This is the one that is dying, the bigger plant has already died, and the offshoot is dying right now...
This is the one that is dying, the bigger plant has already died, and the offshoot is dying right now...
image.jpeg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
By Adelaide
From the pictures I'd say your plants look healthy. Did you dig them up and check on the rhizome? If the rhizome is dead the whole plant is dead. I wasn't sure if you meant the rhizome when you said "growth point". My first dormancy my plants completely died away on the surface, like, I thought they were dust in the wind, but they still came back next spring.
Adelaide liked this
By Matt
They all look good except the last one, which you are already aware of. That looks to be root rot to me. It starts below ground and the rhizome turns into brown mush and then the leaves die. That one already looks pretty far gone, but if you want to try to save it, I'd uproot it, remove anything that's brown or mushy from the rhizome and then replant it.
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
JohnnyZ wrote:They are getting a 9 hour photoperiod and are being kept moist,
Just be sure not to keep them too moist all the time. Rather than watering them a little and frequently, it might be better to water thoroughly (preferably in the morning so they have a chance to dry before a cool night) and then allow them to dry as much as possible before watering them thoroughly again. By "as much as possible" I mean until it's still moist but almost dry, but of course not to the point of substantial dessication of the plant.

During dormancy, in pots that are 5-8 inches deep, I often don't have to water again for 10-14 days even in a dry environment (I live in New Mexico, US). My plants are kept in a greenhouse during dormancy where they get plenty of light and there is a heater and thermostat set for between 45 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

The plant in the last photo might be OK. I notice a small division off to its side. The main growing crown appears to have died back extensively, but if you protect it from (further?) rot it might divert its energy into the new division (offshoot).

Anyway, good luck and thanks for posting! :)
Steve_D liked this
By Steve_D
One other thing-- You mentioned that you didn't see any fungal growth (the visible, white fibrous kind). Rhizome and crown rot can be caused by fungus or bacteria that aren't readily visible and not white. It's important to not keep the growing crown and rhizome too wet all the time (just like it's important for many other plants in containers or in the soil) in order to help prevent fungal and bacterial infection and rot, and it's doubly important during cool to cold weather, because fungi that flourish in cold temperatures are often a more destructive kind.

Good luck! :D
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!