FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By trillian
I went to a number of stores before finding perlite and peat moss in separate bags yesterday. Today I am getting ready to repot my newly purchased plant and I see that both bags are enhanced with fertilizer. ugh. I don't suppose it would be possible to flush the fertilizer from just a cup or two of each and still use it huh? I so don't want to deal with returning it and starting over. Any suggestions?
By afh928
You will be MUCH better off if you suck it up, go back to teh store, and take that stuff back...i promise. More than likely you ended up with Mracle Gro products which is a BIG HUGE NOOOOO for CP's, don't even THINK about Miracle Gro!

Go to a local nursery and find PURE sphagnum peat moss and perlite. Most stores like Lowes and Home Depot only carry Miracle Gro products, so hit up Google, find a nursery, and you will find what you are looking for. I have easy access to certified organic sphagnum peat moss and pure perlite from the nursery near me, and you will too.

Hope that helps, and i know it sucks to have to go back to the store, but get your money back and get the right stuff and all will be well!

Aaron
By mktamin
Actually, Lowe's usually sells Premier Peat Moss for about $9=10 for a bag containing 2.2 cu ft. If you're feeling lazy, Perlite isn't really necessary, though it helps with drainage. Since Perlite is so light, I guess it wouldn't cost that much to buy it online...
By trillian
yeah, I know you're right....I'll suck it up and do it tomorrow....still frustrating though when I made it clear it needed to not have any fertilizer.
By afh928
the Lowes around here tend NOT to have them, so if you have trouble finding a nursery maybe the Lowes in your area might stock what he is talking about. Probably worth a shot, the prices are probably a bit lower than a nursery.
By linton
Perlite & vermiculite can be difficult to find at your local hardware or garden store. If you are having trouble, try looking at hydroponics supply shops - you can often buy these products in bulk and make quite a cost saving.
By Adam
If you can't find perlite, use sand. I found that the soil drained much easier. Plus, it more closely simulates the VFT's natural environment.

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!