FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By quatchi
Hey everyone,

So I have ordered some seeds (Fused tooth X Fused Tooth from FTS), and was wondering about growing them under 2 100 Watt CFL lights (I think a daylight colour rating....or something like that). I have these lights placed in an old styrofoam cooler (about 2x1.5x1.5, a poor excuse for a terrarium), and so it gets bright and warm in there, probably around 25 degrees. The photoperiod is set for 16 hours. Basically, I was hoping to get some input as to whether or not it's a good idea to try and grow seeds in this setting. I ask because last year I had seedlings that I had germinated outside, but then when I put them under the lights, after a couple months they died, even though I had shaded them from the bright light. I'd appreciate any insight given!

Mauro

Edit: Sorry, the lights are not 100 W, they're 23 watts each for a total of 46 watts... I wasn't thinking :P
By SnapSnapIOM
I grow my seeds in tissue culture under lights

You seem to have most of the info correct but i will just add a little more info

Lights should be in the 6500k range and yes 16 hours photo period i use a 4 tube 2 foot 6600 lumens tubes are 24 watt each so 4x 24w

Since yours will be giving out less lumens and heat etc you will need to have them within inches of the seeds

Tip get a old takeaway plastic container fill it with correct soil etc throw the vft seeds on top put the lid on 8-10 days pop :) spray water the surface before you throw in the seeds (woops i forgot)

also get a cheap thermometer
SnapSnapIOM liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!