FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Caleboy 123
My names Caleboy 123, aka JB, and I just bought my first venus flytrap about 2 weeks ago. I'll try to post a picture of my Dinoea later. I know the essentials, like only feed it bugs, never use fertilizer, and use only rain water. If I have any questions I'll just ask you guys.
By kevinqwe
welcome to the flytrapcare community.
you can alson use distilled water where you can get at walmart for ver cheap
By Caleboy 123
Yeh my mom said that our tap comes straight from a rainwater well actually, so I suppose he should be fine.
By tael
Caleboy 123 wrote:Yeh my mom said that our tap comes straight from a rainwater well actually, so I suppose he should be fine.
I think you are safer to get water from collecting it in the rain, or buying distilled water from WalMart, or any other place that sells it. The tap water may have minerals in it from going through well system. If it does, your flytrap will die. So make sure to get him some distilled water as soon as possible!
By kevinqwe
Caleboy 123 wrote:Yeh my mom said that our tap comes straight from a rainwater well actually, so I suppose he should be fine.
THAT IS VERY RISKY!!!!! hope it is good
By Matt
Hello JB and welcome to flytrapcare! It sounds like you understand the basics of caring for your flytrap. Make sure to give it plenty of sunshine too.
Well water actually can have lots of minerals in it. You're going to be better off collecting rain water or using distilled water to water your plant.
By Adam
Hello and welcome! Like the others have said: Be careful about the well water!
By italo.americano
Hi JB and Welcome!

You have been given some great advice and I just want to throw in one more thing.

Because their is some ambiguity regarding the quality of the well water you are using, I would highly recommend a TDS meter. (Total Dissolved Solids)
A TDS Meter measures the amount of Total Dissolved Solids in a solution and
a reading of 50 ppm (parts per million) and lower is considered safe for carnivorous plants.
http://www.amazon.com/ZeroWater-ZM-016- ... 272&sr=1-4
Thus, if your reading is over 50 ppm then you want to avoid well water at all costs and stick, with rain water or distilled water from you local supermarket.

I hope this helps,

Giovanni
By NZL
Welcome JB
By English Springer
Howdy JB and welcome to the site!
Listen to the pros on this site and you should do OK.
You will find it an excellent source of information and advice.

Best of luck with your plants.
Peace!
E.S.
By Caleboy 123
Alright, my I just picked up a gallon of distilled water. This should defenitely keep him happy! :D
By Carolyn
Greetings there JB!
It's so great of you to join flytrapcare!! I'm Carolyn, as you can obviously tell from my username. I suggest you don't use water from the well, it might contain minerals. It's also a good idea to pruchase distilled water as well. Make sure your Venus Fly Trap gets plenty of sunlight, and that should guarantee a very healthy flytrap. :D If you have any questions, feel free to post it here on the forums and either I, or any other members here will gladly answer it for you. :] Thanks for joining and I hope you enjoy it here.

Carolyn
By afh928
Then, once that gallon is empty...cut about 3-4" off the top of the jug and use it to collect rain water. :mrgreen:

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, only[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!