FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By whatsgrowingon
Hello I am fairly new to CPs aside from killing a few VFTs as a child lol and new to the forum, but I am officially addicted! I went from one trap to two to ten then along came sundews,pitchers, butterworts, nepenthes, and different VFTs, LOL. But now I have a problem and have been worried about all my lil buddies! Please HELP ME

I live in Florida and I put up a post about termites in my CP collection yesterday, but after further investigation I determined them to be flying ants! Im not sue on the extent of their damaging effects on my CPs but a few of them did manage to escape a few traps via chomping their way out thus destroying the trap :( . Also I picked up my pinguicula Sethos and it fell right off the LFS it was growing on. The roots seemed to be eaten off! All of my plants (20 or so individuals) have the ants burrowing through their medium and I did catch one chewing on one of my VFT's leaves. What should I do? How can I get rid of them? Anybody else experience this? I just ordered a Maroon Monster :D from flytrapstore and I dont want it to get infested when it arrives!

Any help will be greatly appreciated as always!
By Shimizoki
Hey Whatsgrowingon, welcome to the FTC forums, There are several growers in Florida that would be more than welcome to give you advice about our specific climate and growing conditions.

I don't know about your bug problem however. Best of luck to you.
Shimizoki liked this
By Daniel_G
For your Sarracenias, try using Pravado vine weevil killer.

You can tell it's working when flies start sipping nectar from your Sarras, and then drop dead :lol:

Good luck solving your problem!
By Nats
If I were you, I would go to a good nursery garden store (not a department store!!), I know they are few and far between!!
and ask someone there what you could use to get rid of them.

There are benificial insects you can buy to eat almost any pest and no pesticides!!
Like praying mantis, lady beetles, etc, etc.
I do not off hand know of any that will eat ants (maybe you could buy a pet anteater!!LOL)

We have a excellent nursery near us staffed by older people who really know their stuff.

I have brought them cuttings from sick plants and they always know how to fix it!! :)

Good luck, remember, there is always a way to solve every problem :)
Nats liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!