FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
No contest, VFT all day. Now it was a baby mantis, but still. Part of me is a little sad because I do love these insects, but that's nature.
Attachments:
Just a hull left
Just a hull left
066.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
By parker679
Exactly, plus there is something to be said for a carnivorous plant eating a carnivorous insect.

On a side note, I once let a weed grow wild in my back yard because an adult mantis had taken residence on it. It was actually several weeks before she went away, the weed was at least 6 feet by then.
By Nats
I put out mantis egg casings every spring and they normally hatch sometime durring the summer when it's the hottest.
Only about 30 to 40% of the eggs hatch and the others are duds!! I have to hide the casings from birds who will eat the tiny babies.

The babies who are luck enough to escape preditors (only a small fraction) grow up and tend to hang around the area, so I see
lots of these in my yard, and I have absolutly NO aphids (not a one) on any of my plants.

They are really hard to see, you have to look really hard. Sometimes I will see them on the outside of the house, and they do
get quite large.

I have always loved mantis, and the fact that they are natures "pest control" is just another reason to want them around :)

Most of the egg casings sold on the internet are no good, so I buy them from a local farmer who harvests them in the winter.

I'm sure some of the little ones are bound to get caught in my FT's, which I hate, but like you guys say, that's nature, I just hope
I dont actually see it!!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!