FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By PH8
Hi Everyone,
I've posted on here before about the same plant the previous issue solved itself as most of you told me before, now however I am afraid it can be more serious so I'm in need of some guidance.
I've had this VFT since June, it's been growing fine as far as I can tell. Recently however I noticed the older leaves rapidly giving up to necrosis faster than usual. The plant recently (maybe a month ago) divided itself as you can see below and both parts have new growth seemingly healthy except that some traps are turning yellow/brown before they even open.
The plant still is on a south facing window sill as it was before, I give it only distilled water that I get from the grocery store nearby.
Whislt Im' sort of a newbie when it comes to this plant I believe I've read plenty to know how to care for it adequately so I think I'm covering all the basic needs.
My question is, is it possible that this stun in growth and the premature browning of the leaves can be related to the distilled water being too impure? I have no means to test this theory, but it seems to be the only thing left to check.
My reasoning is that the plant was doing fine (as did others for a short while) for next to 3 months as time went by more and more dissolved minerals from the impure water have settled into the medium thus making my plant sick? Or am I paranoid? I've consistently bought the water from the same place, i doubt would be much of a difference from other grocery stores, but I am willing to try.
Could you guys give me any input?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
The whole plant, you can see the 2 divisions - The larger traps are snipped off (something i don't do until the whole leaf dies) because i was worried the necrosis would spread faster, these traps I snipped off died really early in their development.
The whole plant, you can see the 2 divisions - The larger traps are snipped off (something i don't do until the whole leaf dies) because i was worried the necrosis would spread faster, these traps I snipped off died really early in their development.
VFT91.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1985 times
Smaller trap, from the division, also discolered
Smaller trap, from the division, also discolered
IMG_20180903_134918.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 1985 times
You can see the very end of the unopened trap already discolored
You can see the very end of the unopened trap already discolored
IMG_20180903_134857.jpg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 1985 times
By PH8
Also I want to add that in the last picture you can see a medium sized leaf all straight up without a trap. That same trap was when I first noticed something was wrong with the plant as it developed out of the rhizome without a trap, or maybe it darkened out and fell off pretty early, as you can also notice there's a smaller leaf growing from the main plant seemingly without the trap (the trap wittered at an early stage but the leaf itself remained "ok").
Plus all of the smaller traps from the younger division haven't opened and don't seem like they will develop enough to do so.
By FlyTrap Hunter
PH8 wrote:Also I want to add that in the last picture you can see a medium sized leaf all straight up without a trap. That same trap was when I first noticed something was wrong with the plant as it developed out of the rhizome without a trap, or maybe it darkened out and fell off pretty early, as you can also notice there's a smaller leaf growing from the main plant seemingly without the trap (the trap wittered at an early stage but the leaf itself remained "ok").
Plus all of the smaller traps from the younger division haven't opened and don't seem like they will develop enough to do so.
My first thought is they need more sunlight.
I would focus on the new growth and it looks great. The new growth might look funny because it can look all sorts of ways. All sorts of things affect fly traps, including heat. I don't see anything wrong or unhealthy looking. Be patient and it will look better.
If I thought my plants had too much mineral buildup, I would either start flushing the plants with distilled water. Or just remove/replace the growing medium.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By PH8
Fieldofscreams wrote:I agree, I don't see anything wrong. Just plants adjusting.
Thanks for the feedback back. Adjusting to what? I've had it for 3 months and nothing has changed temperature hasn't dropped significantly yet. Regardless I bought a TDS meter and the water to routinely use is under 25 ppm. So I guess i was wrong

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By Lukebart02
One of my plants looked exactly like this when I accidentally forgot to water it when it was needed and slowly the new growth grew in and the first few didn’t produce traps but then after that, as the older traps that I accidentally let dry out started to turn black the new traps started growing more and more! I think yours will be ok!
CalCarn Hitchhiker

Hey all, I unboxed my Dionaea m. Ginormous from Ca[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

I’m a noob, so the only info I can offer you[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome from a fellow noob!

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome forum a fellow noob!

Trying My Hand With TC

So I am more of the type that learns by doing rath[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!