FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Lyra
My VFT caught a baby lizard. I didn't know they could do that. I was so surprised. Poor lizard.

What the most insteading thing your VFT caught?
Attachments:
20200514_160712.jpg
20200514_160712.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 5002 times
20200514_160857.jpg
20200514_160857.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 5002 times
20200514_160816.jpg
20200514_160816.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 5002 times
20200514_160836.jpg
20200514_160836.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 5002 times
20200514_160934.jpg
20200514_160934.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 5002 times
Benny liked this
By Benny
Wow! Scary that the plant sealed around its body! Flytraps don't attract then intentionally. Rather they see either an exoskeleton of an insect and get caught, or just the fact that they are not very smart.

The weirdest thing mine caught was a frog. Luckily I check on my plants soon after it was caught, and liberated it.
By Benny
Chef, you have some nice sized spiders there too!
sanguinearocks101 wrote:I wonder if fish would like bug flakes
they may. Freeze dried bloodworms are very flakey and brittle. However, there is no nutrition present.

That leads me to a question. If the exoskeleton just blow onto the soil, it would decompose eventually and create a mild fertilizer. This will accumulate and make the soil toxic, but there must be a reason that this doesn't happen.
This would be true for dead foliage as well.

Any ideas?
By oval
Wow, it clamps down on the lizard with the pressure of a steel trap!
By ChefDean
Benny wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:06 amFreeze dried bloodworms are very flakey and brittle. However, there is no nutrition present.

That leads me to a question. If the exoskeleton just blow onto the soil, it would decompose eventually and create a mild fertilizer. This will accumulate and make the soil toxic, but there must be a reason that this doesn't happen.
This would be true for dead foliage as well.

Any ideas?
Freeze dried blood worms are processed while the worm is "whole", for lack of a better term. No nutrients have been extracted prior to being freeze dried. The critter is dead, but the nitrogen, phosphorus, and whatever other nutrients are still there. Rehydrating them makes it possible for cp's to extract those nutrients easily, just as easy as capturing a bug themselves, maybe even easier due to a lack of an exoskeleton.
Exoskeletons dropping from a cp to the ground may deteriorate right there, but they don't put any nutrients into the soil because they've already been drained. Anything that they might add to the soil will not hurt the plant, they have had millions of years of evolution to overcome that possible pitfall.
The same with dead foliage. The nutrients that get put into the soil from the decomposition of the plants are the same nutrients that the plants extracted from the soil. They aren't adding anything that wasn't already there, just recycling it.
By Benny
ChefDean wrote: Freeze dried blood worms are processed while the worm is "whole", for lack of a better term. No nutrients have been extracted prior to being freeze dried. The critter is dead, but the nitrogen, phosphorus, and whatever other nutrients are still there.
Sorry, I realize my post was confusing. I was speaking of the digested exoskeleton providing no nutrients.
ChefDean wrote:They aren't adding anything that wasn't already there, just recycling it.
Thanks Chef. Clears it up for me.
By Lyra

Benny wrote:The weirdest thing mine caught was a frog. Luckily I check on my plants soon after it was caught, and liberated it.
I won't feel bad for the frog. They scare me too much. Sadly, I saw it when the lizard was already dead. Poor baby.
oval wrote:Wow, it clamps down on the lizard with the pressure of a steel trap!
I know. I wonder how strong they clamp down on things. It's scary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By sanguinearocks101
Lyra wrote:
Benny wrote:The weirdest thing mine caught was a frog. Luckily I check on my plants soon after it was caught, and liberated it.
I won't feel bad for the frog. They scare me too much. Sadly, I saw it when the lizard was already dead. Poor baby.
Why wouldn't you let it go if your vft caught one :cry: They won't hurt you, at least you could cut the trap it was stuck in off to give it a better chance of getting out :cry:
By Benny
Lyra wrote: I won't feel bad for the frog. They scare me too much.
Frogs are much more interesting (and cute) than lizards. I seem to have begun a frog magnet with the water dishes sitting around. Probably won't be the last time this happens. Lizards are prolific here, too. We have 7 inch western fence lizards, 4 inch sagebrush lizards, and the monster foot long alligator lizards (they hurt when they bite. Take my word for it.). All not in danger of flytraps.
sanguinearocks101 wrote:at least you could cut the trap it was stuck in off to give it a better chance of getting out

Why? The lizard was dead already, why take a meal? (Granted, the trap probably can't digest it)
By sanguinearocks101
Benny wrote:
sanguinearocks101 wrote:at least you could cut the trap it was stuck in off to give it a better chance of getting out

Why? The lizard was dead already, why take a meal? (Granted, the trap probably can't digest it)
I was talking about how she said she wouldn't let a frog go if her vft caught one.
Benny liked this
By ChefDean
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 pm
Benny wrote:

I was talking about how she said she wouldn't let a frog go if her vft caught one.
Don't cut it, it would likely have expired before the trap "let it go" anyway. Show me the pic of after the trap digested the half of frog or lizard. I'd be more morbidly interested in that myself. But that's just me.
Benny, Matt liked this
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!