FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Discogod
Hi all,

well, i just seen a comment on another thread saying that ladybirds can kill the plant... well, mine caught one in the short 5 meter walk from the car to the house about 2/3 weeks ago & now it's dying!

is there anything i can do? please!!?
Attachments:
closeup
closeup
28092010453.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
dying fly trap :(
dying fly trap :(
28092010452.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
By 95slvrZ28
Usually if the plant catches a lady bug only that trap will die, it's not fatal to the entire plant. That said, it looks like your plant may be a bit light starved. It would really help it out if you could find some place with more sunlight to grow it in...
95slvrZ28 liked this
By Discogod
Thanks for your advice - how can you tell it's light-starved?

the whole plant to me looks 'floppy', i guess that's it? I am in the UK here & it's getting much darker now, earlier & with less sunlight.

Should i remove the 'ladybird' trap head?
By Matt
Discogod wrote:how can you tell it's light-starved?
The long, spindly leaves are a dead give away to not enough light. When given good lighting, most flytraps will grow thicker, more robust leaves.
Discogod wrote:I am in the UK here & it's getting much darker now, earlier & with less sunlight.
That shouldn't matter much as long as you're giving the plant as much direct sunlight as you can each day. Even in the dead of winter when days are the shortest, the plants don't have spindly growth like that.
Discogod wrote:Should i remove the 'ladybird' trap head?
I never remove anything until it's completely black.

Welcome to FlytrapCare :)
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
Discogod wrote:I am in the UK here & it's getting much darker now, earlier & with less sunlight.
Less sunlight = less water use.

Be sure to reduce the frequency of watering of the plant as the sunlight diminishes, since its water needs will also diminish as a result, or the medium may be too wet for too long and possibly promote fungal growth.
Steve_D liked this
By Discogod
thanks guys, you lot are brilliant!

Sadly, we dont have a south facing window so it'll have to sit west. Will cut off that flower stem when i'm home this evening & cross my fingers that it recovers with more sunlight.

Should i consider putting a clear plastic pot over it? (got a 4-litre bottle ready for that...)
By Discogod
Hi all, i'm back!

i put fresh rainwater in the other day & moved it right next to the (west) windowsill.

i think it's going downhill still though. Perhaps it's the start of the dormant period?
Attachments:
28092010452.jpg
28092010452.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
02102010454.jpg
02102010454.jpg (77.03 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
By 95slvrZ28
The plant won't turn around overnight, give it some time.If you give the plant as much sunlight as possible and keep the soil moist with pure water it should start to improve in health. That said, dormancy is just around the corner, so don't be surprised if it doesn't look great until next spring. Even in dormancy you can tell if the plant is healthy...
95slvrZ28 liked this
By Discogod
I've never directly watered the soil - it just uses the water standing underneath it - should i put rainwater through the soil? How often?

THanks!
By sekler
If you have a good airy soil with fairly good water retention (usually with a mix of peat which plays the main part of it), you only have to top water it a few times a month, mainly to drain minerals accumulation if there are any.

If you have a drier mix, I believe it can be good to do it a few times a month but not directly over the plant/crown itself, more around it. This way you can ensure that the whole mix is humid, instead of having just the bottom sitting in water with not enough absorption.
sekler liked this
By sekler
Also, remember that depending of your temperature (I don<t know where you live), you have to water it accordingly to avoid root rot.

If it's getting cold (I mean closer to 0 degrees celsius) and below, you have to water it less so that the soil is slightly moist. Don<t let it sit in water or water it like crazy, do so only during the growth season, especially during summer when the temperature is hot.
sekler liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!