FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By horsesmouth
Hi there
I bought a Venus fly trap last October and it seemed to be doing well overall. I got it from Etsy , and not sure which variety it is but it is ~2 yrs old and makes green traps about 1 cm long. It came in a small container about 2" high and 1.5" wide . It's only really good at catching the smallest bugs because I tried to cut up some worms and feed it and the traps didn't do well at keeping it, but it was pretty good at catching bugs by itself, when i kept it outside in November.
During the winter I put it in the garage because I'm in Atlanta where it does get sub freezing sometimes and I had it in a very small pot. In the garage too it seemed to be doing well and the leaves were green all 3 months.
Around March I brought it back into the open, and after a few weeks I moved it to a bigger pot, thinking it might grow this season. I made sure to use organic no fertilizer peat moss and perlite mix (1:1 ratio I think). I only make sure to water it using harvested rain water which I collect in buckets whenever I can. The weather has been fluctuating between 35-75 and my vft seems to be withering. There are very few green leaves left and new ones that do come up eventually seem to grow and the actual trap seems to turn brown and die without even growing to size.

Not sure if it needs something, the soil seems to be moist to touch and I water it from the base by keeping it in a bigger container so the roots can feel the moisture. I have no idea how deep the roots are now though.
Attachments:
1650026418657692219570814382386.jpg
1650026418657692219570814382386.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 1246 times
By ChefDean
You just repotted, so it's going to go through some stress. Plus, it's waking up from dormancy, so they look a bit ratty anyway.
I would trim the dead stuff off to lessen the possibility of mold, then let it be to let it recover outside. Many people suggest bagging it for a couple of weeks while it settles into the new media. If you do that, keep it out of direct sun so you don't cook it.
By Panman
I don't have much to add to above, but I am also in Atlanta, south of town. Where are you located? If you are on Facebook, there is a Carnivorous Plants of Atlanta group that I admin.
By horsesmouth
Thanks all for your input, I will repot it. Also, how deep should I water it? in the outside container? I don't want to have its roots touching the water, but also have enough water for a buffer in case I'm out for a day or two.
@Panman, sure I can join the group. I'm in marietta.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!