FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Brie
Just wanted to share some photos with yall of the bog bowl I put together(my first), and my Cobra.

So far i've done well with this guy... And I really haven't done anything special. Maybe its because I live in the PNW where its found? lol I water it as often as possible, sometimes leaving it standing in a smidgen of water, sometimes not. Since its warmed up, I went and bought a digital thermometer, and put the probe near its roots so I can keep an eye on its internal temp... But i've always just kinda lived by sarracenia NW's instructions for it, and it seems to of worked. :) I also just bought it a medium sized bowl, and am going to replant it tomorrow... It def. needs more room to grow. lol.

And now the new Sarracenia bowl. Its 20" wide and 8" deep. I put about 1" of gravel on the bottom, then a layer of LFS to act as a divider/filter, and then 50/50 sphagnum peat/perlite. After the plants were in, I put the usual layer of LFS ontop. It has a hole in the bottom for drainage(which I covered with a bit of LFS to keep the drainage rock from blocking it), and I picked up a huge round tray to set it in. I put a thin layer of river stone in the bottom, then set the bowl on that to keep it raised up about 1/2" in the water. All of that sound ok to you guys?

Ok, now for pics.

In it is a HUGE S. flava, a still recovering from winter Judith Hindle, and my fav, the S. purpurea X. All bought from Sarracenia NW.

The Flava is HUGE.

What it looked like when I bought it, just 2 months ago.

Its flower just opening, taken a while ago.

You could say I kind of take the "you're outside, you get to live in the weather" route of plant care, which I know isn't necessarily the best for the plant... Although I probably won't repeat this this coming winter... Here's the purpurea covered in the first layer of snow we had this past winter. The winter was a rough one, and i'm surprised this guy survived at all..

But it did survive, and here's some photos of it taken today in its new bowl. It has 2 flowers that i'm dieing to see bloom.

So that's it for my meager little Sarr. collection. I'm sure I will add more, but I prefer not to buy online, and I usually only get a chance to see Sarr. NW a couple times a year at various local reptile shows.. Kind of limits my purchases. lol.
Brie, Brie liked this
By jht-union
They look really happy, and healthy!!!!

Sarras are suppose to take temps down to even 10F, or course this is true if they have plenty of soil, that means you can't put your sarra outside if it is in a small pot, purpurea even lives up to canada i think, how deep is the pot?
By Brie
jht-union wrote:They look really happy, and healthy!!!!

Sarras are suppose to take temps down to even 10F, or course this is true if they have plenty of soil, that means you can't put your sarra outside if it is in a small pot, purpurea even lives up to canada i think, how deep is the pot?
Well NOW they're all in that giant bowl, but at the time the purpurea was in a 6" pot sitting in a tray. lol. So yeah, its prolly a miracle that it survived last winter.
By Brie
jamez wrote:That flava is medium! My Flavas get 50" tall! They are seedgron; bredd for being big. Yours should get to about 36".
That's awesome. I can't wait til it gets that big. :)
By Steve_D
Brie, great looking plants and very nice photos. Thanks for posting. What brand and model of camera do you have, and did you "postprocess" those photos (other than scaling them down to size)? If so, would you mind mentioning briefly the postprocessing (alterations in a graphics-oriented program like Photoshop) that you did? Very nice! :D
By Matt
I agree with everyone else that these photos are great Brie, and the plants in your collection are gorgeous!
jamez wrote:That flava is medium! My Flavas get 50" tall! They are seedgron; bredd for being big. Yours should get to about 36".
C'mon jamez...if you're going to keep throwing out these ridiculous sizes that you claim your plants are (like the flytraps with 2"+ traps and three times the size you've seen of any flytraps in photos), you're going to have to start backing it up with photos or you're going to start angering a lot of people. I can't say that I've ever seen even a photo of a 50" Sarracenia. This is the largest one I've ever seen:
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.ph ... t&p=273981
And it's a S. alata x S. flava.

But an average S. flava (not hybridized) gets 20" pitchers, but it's not uncommon to see them with 36" pitchers.
Steve_D wrote:What brand and model of camera do you have, and did you "postprocess" those photos (other than scaling them down to size)?
I was wondering the same thing. The colors in your photos tend to pop out very well!
By jht-union
Wow, that's impressive, thanks for posting the pic Matt, she must grow that S. Alata X S. Flava really well, that's pretty insane, she must be really lucky to have such Sarra(i can't believe she grows it in such a small pot), do you have any idea how old is it?
Thanks in advanced Matt! :)
By jht-union
Matt wrote:I don't know much about that Sarracenia jht-union. I just know that it's grown by Steven Morley of the UK, the same guy that registered Cephalotus follicularis 'Eden Black' as a cultivar.
That's pretty impressive, i'm shock by such tallness and beauty! :)
By Brie
Steve_D wrote:Brie, great looking plants and very nice photos. Thanks for posting. What brand and model of camera do you have, and did you "postprocess" those photos (other than scaling them down to size)? If so, would you mind mentioning briefly the postprocessing (alterations in a graphics-oriented program like Photoshop) that you did? Very nice! :D
Thank you Steve... Here is a link to some EXIF data if you want to check it out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41116870@N ... otostream/

My camera is the Canon Rebel XTi, and the lens I was using is my Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro.

I do use Photoshop(CS5) for everything. I didn't do much to it that I recall. Resize, 10-15% sharpen, and I may of Auto-Tone'd it about 10-15%, as its a great, small step to even out everything before I save the image. I believe the white balance was on Auto as well at the time. I was just aiming for some quick photos to toss up in my intro post...

If you're into photography, feel free to check out my main photo gallery. http://oobrieoo.deviantart.com/gallery The albums are on the left... :)
Brie liked this
By Steve_D
brie wrote:http://oobrieoo.deviantart.com/gallery
I agree with Dave. Awesome photos. I especially love the sunrise in the Grand Canyon.
http://oobrieoo.deviantart.com/gallery/ ... 8#/d24r5iy

Thanks for posting the link to your DeviantArt gallery, Brie. I love DeviantArt and really admire all the great artists there. Thanks also for the info about your camera.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!