FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Briansgreenhouse
I just brought home a couple of bags of these and just for the fun of it I looked on the bag for ingredients. Both perlite and the peat bags have fertilizer added. The brand is Miracle Grow, but I thought that at least the Peat and Perlite would be fertilizer free. Maybe some other brands don't include it, but in the meantime, I rinsed each quite a bit with running water and hopefully it will leach the fertilizer out unless they added it with slow release stuff. I couldn't see any of those so, I hope they just added it straight. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Maybe the levels of fertilizer is small enough that it won't be a problem anyhow. I wasn't too keen on flushing out the peat because I wondered if this would upset the acid level of it which I wanted.
Brian
By Briansgreenhouse
I should have searched the forum about this but I never thought that it would be a problem. I know that most of the Miracle Grow stuff has fertilizers but didn't think it applied to simple peat and perlite. I decided to just shelf the stuff and ordered some of the Hoffman brand. It cost a lot more including shipping, but I was not able to find anything locally that was fert free. I have been growing carnivorous plants for many years and never looked at the bags since I just assumed that fertilizer wouldn't be there. I always have had success with VFT's and Droseras and now wonder if I was having success in spite of the fertilizer since I always bought the media from Lowes or HD. Another one of life's little mysteries.

I have one fly trap that I bought back in November[…]

Trying My Hand With TC

So any sggestions, guidance, etc,?

is this normal for a d capensis?

the center is a swirly and some bits turned black.[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they g[…]

Only 3 days in the mail, and it arrived today! Th[…]

So much work!!! I love it!

I should have it all ready to list in June, but we[…]

Tissue Culture Project 2023

I know it has been just over a year. If you are st[…]

andynorth's Grow/want list

Did anyone else take advantage of Matt's sale last[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!