FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jade
As the title says I only have a little baby trap left on my VFT. The lights were burning the plant, and I thought it was just the same dying as it had already been doing. When I realized there was a difference in how it looked, I tried adjusting height and not having both lights and not having as much time, but there wasn’t much of the plant left after the flower stalk had leeched the energy anyhow.

Is it even possible for a plant to come back with only one left or am I just beating the proverbial dead horse with this? It’s back to getting the light it already was getting when it had been doing ok (previous to the flower stalk anyhow).
Spunro liked this
By Spunro
if the rhizome is fine it should be able to bounce back methinks
Jade, andynorth liked this
By optique
As long as you are giving it what it needs it can recover. check out the link below but take into account it's outside in full sun.

post435552.html
Jade liked this
By Jade
Spunro wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:39 pm if the rhizome is fine it should be able to bounce back methinks
I haven’t had any issues besides the flower stalk so I feel like it should be, but I’m not 100%. I didn’t know enough when I got it back in October so it’s still in the original pot, but the feedback I got was to leave it there for now until I can see what happens with it. I guess I’ll wait and see.

Optique- that’s actually amazing thank you for sharing. Thanks to you both because I didn’t want to give up on it. :)
Spunro liked this
By andynorth
Not sure that it will work for you or not but any time any of my plants start to decline like that I have learned to bag them up and keep them out of direct light. It has worked on plants that I thought were long gone. Just bag them up and forget about them for a while.
By Jade
Um as a complete rookie here more than I probably should be at my age, can you possibly do an explain like I’m 5 type post about how to bag a plant? I could put it on a shelf in the basement or my closet depending on what temperature it needs to be hanging out in. Or if there’s a video or something you want to recommend? If you don’t I can google and hope to get the right way to do it.
By Panman
Start with the plant potted and with soil that is wet but not soggy. Put the plant, pot and all, in a ziplock bag, or a bag that you can seal. Seal it and set it someplace with indirect light as direct light will turn it into a solar oven. Every couple of days open the bag to refresh the air and check that the soil is still damp and not molding. Repeat this until the plant has produced the growth you are looking for. Then proceed, over the next week or two, to open the bag a little more each day to allow the plant to get used to reduced humidity.
Jade, andynorth liked this
By optique
Bag a burned flytrap? The damage is done, you can not reverse it. I would just place it in full sun and do nothing but add water. I think you use lights so try to get the light level correct and new growth will adjust.
By Panman
optique wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:53 pm Bag a burned flytrap? The damage is done, you can not reverse it. I would just place it in full sun and do nothing but add water. I think you use lights so try to get the light level correct and new growth will adjust.
Good point. I didn't check what the original problem was, just supplied instructions on bagging. Attach a picture of what it looks like now and let us see.
Jade, Matt liked this
By Jade
Sorry had to go outside. It has been above 40 for a couple days so I let it get a little real sunlight. I cut off the stuff that was burnt so it’s just a tiny bit of a thing now.
IMG_4741.jpeg
IMG_4741.jpeg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 757 times
I feel like I’m nagging it to death at this point because it’s been not better under the lights even when I tried adjusting them and before the flower stalk it looked really healthy basically the entire time I had it despite being in the wrong conditions.
By Panman
Give it the light it needs and watch for new growth. Don't worry about what the other trap looks like. If both leaves start turning black before there is new growth then it will require something different.
Jade liked this
By Jade
Ok thanks I will try that. I was just worried when everything was getting brown and I thought if itthat kept happening it would kill the entire thing. At least now I know it can come back if the rhizome is ok.
By Fishkeeper
Do you know what media that is? It looks sort of odd, though maybe that's just me.
By Jade
It looks like a type of moss so I assumed it was peat, but I’m not sure. I didn’t know to repot it when I bought it and was advised to hold off on that until I see if I can get it going again. So it’s whatever it came in.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!