FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By bsykate2
Just bought two new babies could not stand to see these beautiful plants die in the sotre in the cold so i brought them home and had no thought as to what i needed to take care of them other than love
I have a Venus Fly Trap and a Purple Pitcher plant theyu are very small and looked very weak from cold and neglect so I hope they make it
I have them in a room with lots of light (natural sun ) and they have been watered . what else can anyone recomend that night help bring them back to vibrance I had thought about trhing to find a grow light to put over them would that be good
any help would be great

thanks
By Steve_D
First, no tap water: only distilled or collected rainwater, or water from reverse osmosis.

Next, please read the brief and very helpful articles at the main area of FlytrapCare.com at the left of the homepage under the headings "Basic Cultivation" and "Basic Concepts." Carnivorous plants' needs are usually few, but sometimes fairly strict. So be sure to familiarize yourself with the basics before you kill the plant, not afterward. :) (But don't feel too bad if it does happen to die; almost all of us have killed nice plants through ignorance or bad cultural practices.)

The good news is that if you follow the advice here at FlytrapCare.com, and ask questions here in the Forum if you have concerns or worries, your plants will probably survive and thrive. :mrgreen:

Steve
By Sizzzla Jizzla
Hi bsykate2,

I can't speak about your purple pitcher plant, but plenty of others know lots about them.

With regards to your VFT, giving them lots of light, especially sunlight, is VERY important. Depending on how much sun the room you have them in gets, they should be just fine without a grow light.

As for water, make sure it is Distilled/RO (Reverse Osmosis)/Rain/Snow water, as tap/well water will kill Carnivorous Plants.

It might take a little bit of time for the plants to recover from the store. Depending on the lighting conditions in the store, compared to where you have them now, they might need to be gradually introduced to a higher light environment.

Also, feel free to post pictures of your plants and lighting situation. The people here are a great help!

Welcome and enjoy! :D
By Aging_Bourbon
I second what Matt said and Welcome to flytrapcare!
Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!