FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By KingSizePT
Greetings to all Venus fly trap owners and lovers.

My name is Filipe and i am from Caldas da Rainha, Portugal.
I love plants and i have 2 bonsai for one year but i always have interest for carnivorous plants but i did'nt want to have some plant that i didn't know well how to care so, first i research how to do it before i had one in my hands.
I recently had bought my first VFT :D and know i want to enter in the community of VFT carers to learn from the experience of the FVT carers around the world :mrgreen:

I had a drosera aliciae that i have bought in the same day that VFT

the drosera is a bit shy now, but thats probably because she's adapting the new house. :roll:

I had some questions, my VFT need separation right? which is the best period for it?

Peace (sorry bad english :oops: )
By italo.americano
Hi Filipe!

Great pictures and welcome!

The best time to divide (Separate) your venus flytraps is during early Spring in the Months of February and March. Some growers like to divide their plants any time of the year but I find that early Spring causes less shock to the plants as Spring is when they initiate their growing season.

I hope this helps,

Giovanni
By KingSizePT
Thank you giovanni.
Ok then i will wait till that time to divide them, because i think they can live well all together like they are. right? Do you have some advises for me after seeing the pictures? i think that pot is a mess, traps all over the place :( the repot should be done in the same time or can be done all year?

I am thinking is building a terrarium or a mini eco-sistem with cp, for i can grow more species and in more natural way, if possible with some frogs or reptiles. i had seen some frogs named dendrobate i think and they are beautiful and cp climate compatible

cheers
By italo.americano
Hi Filipe,

Your plants look very good and I would just recommend leaving them alone until early Spring and not re-potting until then.

These are some pictures of my plants and as you can see it is one big happy family.

Giovanni
By Carolyn
Hey Filipe!
Welcome to the flytrap community. :D That is one veerrrryy healthy flytrap you got. P: Just make sure to give it tap water and bright sunlight. Unless it needs time to adapt to your home, like your Drosera Aliciae. Oh, and Giovanni's right, make sure to divide your plant in mid-winter- early spring. They'll be more happy that way. :lol: If you have any questions, contact anyone here and we'll be glad to give you some answers.

Good luck with your plants!!

Carolyn
By KingSizePT
Thank you carolyn.
i'll do what's better for my plants of course :D I see that you have some big and really happy population giovanni so i just let them grow. i just don't like much the soil that my vft came we never know whats inside... i prefer make my own soil mix. But i'll wait my vft seems happy so don't need to worry now.

Thank you all

Peace 8-)
By Carolyn
KingSizePT wrote:Thank you carolyn.
i'll do what's better for my plants of course :D I see that you have some big and really happy population giovanni so i just let them grow. i just don't like much the soil that my vft came we never know whats inside... i prefer make my own soil mix. But i'll wait my vft seems happy so don't need to worry now.

Thank you all

Peace 8-)
If you want, you should replant it next year. :D
By KingSizePT
thanks kevinqwe.
i am really happy with that two buddies, i hope my drosera soon create the "glue". It seems to that the drosera pot is very populated too,i think that there are more than only one drosera, i know this isn't the best place in the forum to ask but i don't want to create another post only for this.
The drosera should be reppoted in the same period than VFT? can i divide it like VFT?

Again sorry the bad english an thank you for the support!

Peace
By Caleboy 123
Welcome! Your drosera looks healthy, just adapting to it's new environment.
By Carolyn
Caleboy 123 wrote:Welcome! Your drosera looks healthy, just adapting to it's new environment.
Cale's right! I love the beautiful drosera there. :D I have a drosera capensis, it adapted to its new home very quickly. :0
By Adam
I have that drosera too! nice plant. Welcome to the forum.

I repotted and separated my VFTs in February. They are doing well!
By KingSizePT
Thanks for the support :D

I take new photos yesterday and i want to post it here to everyone see

It seems that my drosera is finally producing the "glue" :mrgreen: and my VFT is gaining some great red colour.

Peace!
By STEVIEFLY
Welcome to the forum Filipe.
By twigs
Welcome to the forum! Your plants are looking great.

I want to clarify something
Carolyn wrote:Hey Filipe!
Welcome to the flytrap community. :D That is one veerrrryy healthy flytrap you got. P: Just make sure to give it tap water and bright sunlight......
Carolyn
The plant should not be watered with tap water unless you have very pure tap water. You will kill your plant if the water you use has too many disolved minerals/additives in it. Use only Reverse osmosis, distilled, or rain water.

A little tap water won't hurt it, but in the long run, those disolved minerals will build up and kill the roots.
Cold temperate Pinguicula

Cold temperate Pings IMO simply don't get enough l[…]

Pots and Saucers Haul

Today my favorite neighbor (an older gentleman who[…]

SASE is in my possession.

SASE has been received, all is well with the world[…]

Cactus Care

I think they look nice in the pot they are in for[…]

Oh yeah I forgot to post a couple things I was loo[…]

Another flower popped

Hey all, another flower popped last night from an […]

Hello, I would like to request SD-23-005 D. felix[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!