FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Sealed 4 Ever
I had an unsuccessful flytrap experience last year, but since I do extremely well with houseplants, it never occurred to me that maybe it was because the poor thing may have been starved of light. Last week I received a seed grown young adult potted flytrap from Flytrapstore.com, which is a lovely plant. Here's my problem:

I was remiss in not reading before buying. Totally my fault. I live in northern NJ, in an apartment, without any access to outdoor space to allow the flytrap the outdoor environment that sounds so vital. My windows face west. I realize my little flytrap, let's call him "Rex" for now, is in peril but I want to keep it alive and well. I can add fluorescent or grow lighting for him. Do I have a chance? I will be so upset commit planticide from my ignorance, and I'm on a tight budget, and he was a small investment because the "grocery store" one failed.

I'm also a little worried about watering too much/not enough. The moss top is still a little moist. Is there a touch test for knowing when to water?

I like the Flytrap Store small pot Rex is in, but is the single bottom hole sufficient for drainage?

I don't want you to think I'm a crazy plant lady. I just take the husbandry of living things seriously and I'm so disappointed I didn't read before I purchased.

I hope you can help me help my flytrap thrive.

Please reply. Thank you.
By boarderlib
While most will not recommend growing VFT'S indoors, it can be done. A decent grow light and a timer, or a really really sunny window. I'll let someone else come in on the light, because my lighting experience is for larger setups that would not be feasible for one plant.

As far as watering I highly recommend when the top starts to dry out, place Rex in a small bowl of distilled, rain, or RO water. Once the pot sucks up everything it can hold the remove him from the bowl and discard the water. Though thinking about it I drilled extra holes in the bottom of my FTS pots, because I had trouble getting them to fill with the tray method. You could top water as long as there's sufficient air flow to dry the plant off after the watering.

As far as drainage goes remember fly traps are bog plants and like being kept on the wetter side.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
Cold dormancy is the biggest issue here I think. Ideally they would be sitting around 45*F all winter (personal guesstimate, don't quote me on that). Shortened light hours are enough to make them semi-dormant but I think this will have some negative effects after a few years. But anyways, during the growing season they would be fine with some additional lighting. Standard daylight CFL bulbs from the hardware store would work, or better yet LED ones. If you search this on eBay "Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Bulb" you can see some of the ones I'm using. They are strong enough to color up my plants.

They also seem to have a decent tolerance to watering as long as it's mineral free water. Mine sit in water but sometimes dry out to the point where the sphagnum is at least 50% dry.

I personally feel that the one hole at the bottom is too small. All my VFT pots (which are just styrofoam cups) have a bunch of holes in the bottom and side, so once I flood the tray they are in they soak the water up very quickly.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!