FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wills
Hello!

I'm relatively new to plants in general and I have a few questions! I'm from Sydney Australia and we are currently in our first few weeks of autumn.

I've read through much of the forums and the essentials for VFTs and have a few specific questions if you don't mind helping me =D
I bought a long pot tray thing and the VFTs are in pots themselves and they are in about 2cms of water. Here is a picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36689054@N06/3380860297/
The green one is called Snappy and the other two are both called Audrey Jr because I couldn’t think of anything else!

Anyways, is this a decent set up for them to grow? Should the tray be deeper? I read somewhere that the put itself should be almost fully submerged in water but that contradicts a few other suggestions I've read.

The plants themselves sit near the windowsill most of the day and the sun shines right into my room so it gets enough sunlight. I catch bugs for it like little crickets and flies but for some reason my room has been invaded by crickets lately (hopefully they can catch some yay). I plan to leave the plant outside a few days a week during the day so they can catch a healthy amount of bugs.

I use distilled water from a Brita water distiller (those jugs that you pour tap water into and its supposed to purify it) but I've been told that this isn’t the best way to water it. Anyone in Australia know where I can buy water specifically for my new plants?

The VTP came potted so I don’t think I need to worry about the media for now.

Any suggestions about what else I can do?

Thank you in advanced I feel proud to be a part of this community now (if only because I own some VTP and shown some interest in them).

AND! I've just noticed I posted this in the wrong section, apologies!
By datter
Hi Wills and happy to know that you are proud to be in this community.
Wills wrote:Anyways, is this a decent set up for them to grow? Should the tray be deeper? I read somewhere that the put itself should be almost fully submerged in water but that contradicts a few other suggestions I've read.
The set up of your tray is relatively okay. However, remember to change the water daily to prevent mosquitos breeding. I usually keep my soil moist by watering water into the soil from the top. From time to time, I will put it on a plastic container and water it from below. Keep the soil moist, not soggy. If you fully submerge it in water, maybe the flytraps will die off or something.
Wills wrote: I use distilled water from a Brita water distiller (those jugs that you pour tap water into and its supposed to purify it) but I've been told that this isn’t the best way to water it. Anyone in Australia know where I can buy water specifically for my new plants?
It is ok if the machine or whatever it is called said clearly that it purifies tap water into DISTILLED WATER. Does it rain over there in Australia? If it does rain often, you can put a box or something to collect rain water. I collect rainwater and water them with rainwater. After giving it much sunlight, it grows alot and is currently developing more traps. xD However, if it does not rain often, you can buy bottled water included that it stated there that the water is distilled.

Regards
Datter
By linton
Hi Wills,
is this a decent set up for them to grow? Should the tray be deeper?
your setup looks good and tray depth should be OK - Dionaea like to be moist, not wet all the time so you can let the tray dry out for a day or so before refilling (best not to let it dry out in hot weather though!)
I use distilled water from a Brita water distiller (those jugs that you pour tap water into and its supposed to purify it) but I've been told that this isn’t the best way to water it. Anyone in Australia know where I can buy water specifically for my new plants?
Personally I don't know about the Brita water distiller - if it produces REAL distilled water (like the kind that you put in the iron & car batteries) it will be OK to use on your plants - otherwise use rainwater, the condensation that drips from a refrigerated air conditioner (not an evaporative one), the ice that forms on the inside of a freezer (melted of course), or if you are plannning on collecting a lot of plants, invest in a reverse osmosis unit.
Any suggestions about what else I can do?
Give your plants as much sunlight as you can. Water only with good, clean water and never let your potting medium dry out - keep your plants drier in Autumn / Winter (during dormancy) to reduce the risk of rot.
AND! I've just noticed I posted this in the wrong section, apologies
Don't worry...It can still be moved!
Happy growing,
Linton
By Matt
I think other people have covered a lot of your questions. Basically the rules for healthy Dionaea are few, but strict:
1) LOTS of sunlight. At least four hours of direct sunlight for healthiest flytraps.
2) CLEAN water. Filtering water through a Brita probably isn't good enough. You need either rain water, distilled water or reverse osmosis water. Or as Linton said, you can use the condensation that drips from an air conditioner or the ice that forms in the freezer.
3) Nutrient poor soil. When you repot your plants, be sure to use sphagnum peat moss or long fibered sphagnum moss.
4) Dormancy. Depending on where you live in Australia, if you don't get long, hard freezes, you might be able to leave your plants outside all year and they can experience dormancy naturally.

No worries about posting this topic in the wrong section. I can move it for you.
By Wills
Thanks all for replying! Such friendly people using these forums xD.

I must have misread the Brita water filter box because it doesn't produce distilled water T_T! It does rain in Australia but not often during Autumn or Winter. Ice that forms in the freezer? Wow I had no idea you could use that! I think that would be the best source of distilled water for me at this point in time. Can anyone recommend a brand which I can purchase in store at a nursery or flower shops of sorts?

Thanks again everyone! I can't wait till I'm experienced enough to help other people
By Matt
Wills wrote:Can anyone recommend a brand which I can purchase in store at a nursery or flower shops of sorts?
All distilled water is the same. I buy mine for 50 cents a gallon at Wal-Mart. Just make sure that it's distilled water and not enriched with anything. It should be labeled as distilled water.
By linton
The best place to buy your distilled water here in Australia would be any supermarket in the laundry section, a 4 Lt bottle will set you back about $5 - I would be very surprised to find it in a plant nursery.
By Wills
Linton,

Thank you! I am currently at work searching online on some nusery sites and was upset that I couldn't find any. But when I read your post about it being in the laundry section I realised that that made sense!
Thanks!
By lemonlily
Welcome,

I think even though the watered is labled as distilled, they can have added mineral to it. Not a big help, but just a tip for buying water.
By Adam
I use Polaris distilled water, but any will do.
By weirdscience
Water quality is important you should check with your local water utility they can give you a water quality report what you want to look at is dissolved minerals the lower the number the better less than 50 ppm (parts per million) is good but I have no problems and my water varies between 100 and 150 ppm I water straight out of the hose and have been growing for almost 20 years.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!