FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Birddog
I should have my DCXL tomorrow(Friday). I was unable to get any sand so I have a pure peat and Perlite mix(about 70% peat and 30% perlite) I built a shelf in the basement on one of those small windows. Right now the pots are under a clear dome. Since the basement is around 60 due to the furnace running. I made a 3 sided box out of 3/4 inch insulation board so that all basement heat is blocked and it is only open to the cold window(closed). Its About 7F out right now and 55f in this little space. This window gets indirect light so there will be a photo period. My question will my new dormant venus flytrap be ok if I plant it and put it into this space and let it come out of dormancy.and then put it in my basement greenhouse( 84f with 81 humidity at the moment. I have remote therm. and humistats in both spaces so from my bed room I always know what going on down stairs.
By Maiden
70% peat and 30% perlite is a good mix from my experience. You have to adapt the watering to this soil mix, i mean watering less often, and no standing water. With this media mix, the best is to repot your dionaea each year for maximum growth.

For dormancy, i dont think photoperiod is very important. The most important point is the temperature. For the best dormancy, from what i know, 3celcius day/night is perfect. And take care about the watering, fungus is around the corner.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
By Birddog
Thanks for the info.
By Kevonicus
70:30 is good, all depends on your growing conditions/pot size, and your accessibility to water when in full sun outdoors. Your DCXL should just be ending its dormancy in the next few weeks so I wouldn't stress too much about the temps. I think photoperiod is a bigger player and the more sun the better. Obviously this will strengthen as it gets closer to spring so you should acclimate it to the outdoor sun slowly.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!