FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Do_Gon
Hello everyone. New to this forum and CPs in general. I bought a Drosera Capensis and VFT at a show recently. It's like to keep them indoors under lights but I'm not sure which ones I'll need. My Drosera has been dewless since I got it home 2 weeks ago. I have them both in a tray with tiny rocks and water under a grow light. LED Grow Light for Indoor Plant,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L7L82R3?re ... b_ap_share
Is this enough for them? Which lights should I be using? I keep reading about different watts, cfls, lumens, etc. and it's a bit confusing. Does anyone have a link to a proper light that will get my Drosera to dew again? Temp is about 70f to 80f in my room and humidity is 50 to 60 percent in their tray. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
By Shadowtski
When I transplant a plant or receive a new plant in the mail, I bag it or dome it for 2 - 4 weeks.
That reduces stress on the plant and allows it to acclimate itself to its new environment.
After that period, when I see dew again, I remove it.

http://www.flytrapcare.com
http://www.growsundews.com
These are two websites with good information.

The Big 3 of growing CP are:
1) Lotsa, lotsa, lotsa light
Your growlight should be within 6 inches of the plant to be effective.
Lights should be ON from local sunrise to local sunset.
My main grow lights are MarsHydro 300s but I use several different ones.
I look for Daylight Colored LEDs, 5000k - 6500k, with 3000 lumens or so.
2) Very pure water. Distilled water, rainwater, or De-ionized water are best.Total Dissolved solids, TDH, should be under 50. I keep a tray under the plants with 1/4 inch water in it.
3) Nutrient poor/nutrient free acidic growth media. Peatmoss or Sphagnum moss are bestbut read labels and avoid brands with added fertilizer. (No Miracle-Gro)
4) Respect the plants need for dormancy. VFT needs a Winter dormancy, it is a temperate plant. Cape Sundew grows year-round. It does not need dormancy. It is a Sub-Tropical plant.

I suggest going to your local library and borrow a copy of "The Savage Garden", revised edition, by Peter D'Amato. It's probably the best book for CP growing information.

All this is strictly my personal opinion and 2¢ worth.

Good growing,
Mike
By Do_Gon
Thanks for the the WEALTH of information. The Drosera is bagged already. Lights are 6 inches away already. Just not sure if the light I have is enough or if I need to return it to Amazon and order another one.
By Shadowtski
Do_Gon wrote:Thanks for the the WEALTH of information. The Drosera is bagged already. Lights are 6 inches away already. Just not sure if the light I have is enough or if I need to return it to Amazon and order another one.
CP collections tend to grow rapidly once you become hooked.

My MarsHydro 300s cover a 2 ft by 2 ft area at a height of 24 inches above the plants. I paid about $60 - $70 for one.

A 48 inch LED Shoplight provides about 3300 lumens of 6500K light for about $20 - $30.

A 20 - 24 watt LED grow bulb is good for one plant and runs $8 - $30.

I put my money into quality lighting.
I can get seeds or plants by swapping with other growers or from our Community Seed Bank.

It's all up to your budget and individual preferences.
By Do_Gon
Ok. I've decided to return the one I have and ordered a 6500k one from tincman herps. Thank you for your help. It's been 3 days since I've bagged my Drosera and this morning I saw the slightest bits of moisture building up. It's probably more water build up than dew but either way in taking it as Good signs.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!