FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By hardrockerCP
holy dang. you have me incredibly excited for what mine is going to look like. mine almost looks identical to yours from fts. what kind of conditions did you/are you giving it? and how long until it threw out its first mature pitcher?
hardrockerCP liked this
By jwbates26
hardrockerCP wrote:holy dang. you have me incredibly excited for what mine is going to look like. mine almost looks identical to yours from fts. what kind of conditions did you/are you giving it? and how long until it threw out its first mature pitcher?
If you start at page one you'll see when I got my ceph in October and then the progress of its growth and the conditions I keep it in...
By jwbates26
A couple pictures of some of the pitchers taken June 28
rsz_2012-06-28_17-13-46_582.jpg
rsz_2012-06-28_17-13-46_582.jpg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
2012-06-28_17-16-28_5.jpg
2012-06-28_17-16-28_5.jpg (352.34 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
2012-06-28_17-14-16_671.jpg
2012-06-28_17-14-16_671.jpg (475.94 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
rsz_2012-06-28_17-14-45_3.jpg
rsz_2012-06-28_17-14-45_3.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
jwbates26 liked this
By jwbates26
This is the fixture I have. I've bought a couple of them since they're so cheap. Depeneding your Walmart they're usually around $11

And here are the lights I've bought. I have Walmart price match them since Lowes sells them for $7 per 2/pk and Walmart sells them for $12 per 2/pk

Hope this helps
By jwbates26
I Knew you were going to ask me this :)

This is from my experience and you have had really good advice from other people that have a lot more experience than me with these plants. I do have a few nepenthes that I grow under these lights. The reason is that it gets well into the hundreds during the summer with very low humidity and I don't have the means to provide the proper conditions for them to get natural light. If I could I would. So, yes I do use these with my nepenthes. There are a select few that seem to grow ok with them and then I have others that seem like they don't want to do anything. All of which are growing slowly and don't color up as nicely as I think they are able to. I also have a humidifier running constantly in the room I have my nepenthes growing in.

I have a small covered aquarium that I have created a false bottom and then covered the bottom with live sphagnum in a west facing window. I have three bicals in this aquarium getting full sun for, at least, 4 hours a day. It also gets extremely warm inside but since the humidity is high the plants do ok. These three plants are growing far better than my other plants. I use an aquarium with these three because they are the only ones I know for sure that like it hot and humid. And when I mean hot, it's around 100f. These three push out a new leaf every week and pitcher. The pitcher take longer to mature and open, but they are doing much better than the ones under the lights.

I'm playing with the idea of buy more expensive bulbs meant for salt water aquariums that have a higher color temp and see how these work. If I could afford a climate controlled green house I'd be growing them in full sun.

I hope this helps.
jwbates26 liked this
By CPHunter
jwbates26 wrote:I Knew you were going to ask me this :)
:lol: haha how did you know
jwbates26 wrote: The reason is that it gets well into the hundreds during the summer with very low humidity and I don't have the means to provide the proper conditions for them to get natural light. If I could I would. So, yes I do use these with my nepenthes.
i know huh, that is how it is where i live. i have my neps in the sun for like 3 hours when it was summer. now that it is starting to cool off i am going to try to give them more sun, but the bad thing is that it may get too cold in the night on winter for my nepenthes highlanders
jwbates26 wrote: I also have a humidifier running constantly in the room I have my nepenthes growing in.
how humid is it in the room and doesn't the high humidity bother you
jwbates26 wrote:I have a small covered aquarium that I have created a false bottom and then covered the bottom with live sphagnum in a west facing window. I have three bicals in this aquarium getting full sun for, at least, 4 hours a day. It also gets extremely warm inside but since the humidity is high the plants do ok. These three plants are growing far better than my other plants. I use an aquarium with these three because they are the only ones I know for sure that like it hot and humid. And when I mean hot, it's around 100f. These three push out a new leaf every week and pitcher. The pitcher take longer to mature and open, but they are doing much better than the ones under the lights.
can you post a pic of the bicalcaratas?

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!