FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By funkeecheekeemunkee
i have had my flytrap for a few months now and everything was going great. my dad repotted it using the soil recommended and now its only got 2 traps left but a few leaves. it wont eat at all, i have tried trifggering the hairs as suggested but it wont bude...has my dad killed seymour?????
By Matt
As long as it has some green leaves and the rhizome is still white, it will be fine. Just give it a little while to recover. How long ago did your dad repot it?

You don't need to worry about feeding it. Just give it plenty of good sunlight and clean water and it will be fine.
By funkeecheekeemunkee
my dad repotted it a few weeks ago and it has slowly went black n died :(
its the only plant i have ever kept alive for more than a week haha so im gutted
it has new traps growing but im just a bit worried it wont get food as its indoor
By Matt
He did replant it in peat moss, right? If so, and you are seeing new growth, then it will be fine. Remember that Venus Fly Traps are slow growers.

Another problem might be that since you are growing it indoors, it isn't getting enough light. That's really what it needs....much more so than insects. Make sure that it gets AT LEAST 4 hours of direct sunlight every day. It would be best off grown outside to make sure it gets plenty of light.
By funkeecheekeemunkee
i think seymour is going to flytrap heaven :(
i grow him inside cos its too cold here for him but everytime a new shoot grows the end goes balck :(
i think my dad has killed him, he got the soil recommended on the little guide we got with him but maybe it wasnt good enough.
By Matt
funkeecheekeemunkee wrote:i think seymour is going to flytrap heaven :(
Don't give up on him so quickly. Venus Fly Traps are very hardy. If there is any green left on the leaves and white left on the rhizome there is a good chance that he will come back.
funkeecheekeemunkee wrote:i grow him inside cos its too cold here for him
Where do you live? If you live anywhere in North America, it's definitely not too cold for your flytrap this time of year.

If you aren't sure what kind of soil your dad used to pot him in, you might want to go get some peat moss and repot him again. It wouldn't hurt anything.

Also, are you using distilled water? How much sun is the plant getting every day?
By funkeecheekeemunkee
i live in scotland yay! lol its rainy windy and pretty cold lol
he sits in the kitchen window and i either use rain water or tap water left for a few days in a pot cos i was told to do that lol he gets as much sun as we can if u count grey clouds. man i wish i stayed in usa lol
By funkeecheekeemunkee
oh and what is the rhizome? is it the purple stick in the middle of him? cos its never had white on it, it was a stump when i got him :)
By Matt
funkeecheekeemunkee wrote:oh and what is the rhizome?
The rhizome is the white portion of the the plant that is underground. You won't be able to see it when the plant is potted. You can see a picture of one here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/images/phoca ... y_Trap.jpg

Matt
By funkeecheekeemunkee
the rhizome part of my plant was going black n had what i can only figure out was like fungus on it. do u kno what would have caused that for next year when i get another one? we can only get them in march over here
By thegirlnextdoor42
funkeecheekeemunkee wrote:i have had my flytrap for a few months now and everything was going great. my dad repotted it using the soil recommended and now its only got 2 traps left but a few leaves. it wont eat at all, i have tried trifggering the hairs as suggested but it wont bude...has my dad killed seymour?????
your trap is named Seymour!?? that is so cute! i feel so left out! everyone has named their traps something, and i have nothing!
By Carl
Your not on your own, I've not names my plants :cry:
By Carl
Matt wrote:Nor have I, but I generally refer to them as "my babies".
I couldn't do that I already have 5 babies in my house The wife, Dog, Cat and two leopard geckos

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!