FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By ReefPlant
Highland Terrarium? Or my new glass door Refrigerator??

I have recently added a couple of Heliamphora to the grow list and intend on keeping them there. The idea of a cold terrarium has entered my thoughts once or twice but never imbedded there long enough to act on the notion. Now adding a few spectacular cultivars to my idea has become a serious motivator. I would love to have a decent greenhouse with that prime local picked out just for cool growing orchids and carnivorous plants, but it is no in the cards.
What I do have is an old 120 gallon aquarium (48x24x24) I previously had setup as a large reef tank in a series of others to grow coral. I now grow the coral elsewhere and didn’t need to setup the tank again.
For me, like many people say, terrariums are a pain. Humidity is the never ending name of the game. Any fan you use in the typical terrarium, unless it’s a “Grow Cart” or one of those pop-up greenhouses, will be hard to control unless more is invested in timers and gauges to test and regulate its running time. Not to mention a handful of other more serious problems that result in time from an enclosed space. I am all for testing and recording what is happening in the grow area, how else are you going to know what’s going on. However, one thing leads to another and you have a couple hundred dollars into a couple of plants if you don’t know how to go about setting up. If control is needed to the point of a terrarium, move with caution.
The moral of my story... A mad scientist doesn’t stop until he has to!
I am going to be setting up this terrarium and have what I think are going to be some really good ideas for setting it up. If I had a scanner and everyone could understand my chicken scratch you would know what I was talking about. Pictures are great!

P.S. – Any growers with tips or tricks concerning cold terrariums let me know! Culture notes welcome
By ReefPlant
Here it is!!! :lol:
Attachments:
The Tub!
The Tub!
DSC04870.JPG (150.82 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
By lemonlily
That thing is a bath tub? It's huge?
By ReefPlant
lemonlily wrote:That thing is a bath tub? It's huge?
Haha, i just call it that. Before when i had it setup asa fish tank it was actually on the gorund just like that, no stand $$ But it worked out great a large sump tank for two other display tanks.

I am tempted to take a swim before i set it up :)
By ReefPlant
Just got back from the pool supply shop to pick up some chlorine based products for the old you know what!!! :lol:

NO its for TC, but i do have extra, that hot tub ideas isn't bad. Winters around the corner... Cold in the Northeastern... 8-) Hot tub? or terrarium? :D
I should be moving the stand in today, The fixins are in the garage and we're good to grow!
Pictures soon!
By hackerberry
Can't wait for the pictures RP!

hb
By ReefPlant
Just a quick shot of the tank on the stand. Its a beast!!! :) so much room to work in!!! I should be able to work on it more in the next couple of days.
Attachments:
The Tank!
The Tank!
DSC04874.JPG (161.14 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
By Nickrober
I thought for a second we were going to get a picture of you taking a bath, I was relieved to see it was empty when the image loaded.
By marvin1997
Nickrober wrote:I thought for a second we were going to get a picture of you taking a bath, I was relieved to see it was empty when the image loaded.
Hahahahahahahaahahahah.....I almost cried out......keep us posted...osted...sted....ted....ed....d....
By ReefPlant
:D No longer a bathtub! It is now a massive sandbox!!! :lol:
So far i have about 100+ lbs of sand in this thing and another 100 or so to rinse, and rinse, and rinse. Cheaper this way though. The cooling hose is attatched to the reservoir and in place and the tank is well on its way to having it's very own vascular system! I have high hopes of building an innovative yet sustainable setup for my brood of Helis/Cephs.
I was able to scrap a nice piece of plexi/acrylic from work for the doors and accessory panel which will help out a lot on cost.
I have a little list of all of the components being used and will post it when i'm done with the tank.
I can't wait to put the rest of it together!!!
Attachments:
Cooling reservoir
Cooling reservoir
DSC04996.JPG (205.92 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
Cooling coil
Cooling coil
DSC04989.JPG (170.91 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
By lemonlily
That thing is cool! And I thought you had centipedes in there.
By dionaea muscipula
awesome looks better then mine :)
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!