FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By land_pro
So im in the process of building a sundew home and all thats left is my lighting. It's inner dimensions are 15.5 inches deep, 43 inches long, and 7 inches high. I have it lined with polished white vynil, ( like bathtub material) and covered with 1/8 inch clear plastic to keep in humidity. My main question is for lighting i have purchased a new workshop area lighting system. It holds six (6) 48" t-8 bulbs within the dimensions of 48" x 16.75". The bulbs that I purchased deliver the following specs from each bulb.
lumens- 2750
kelvin temp- 6500k
watts- 32 (t-8)
Color rendering indew- 82

So do you guys think this will be enough light for roughly 6 square feet and roughly how far away from the plants should I keep the lighting unit? The last question is will i have to harden the plants off to the increased light as if i was putting them out into sunshine for the first time?
16,500 lumens
a kelvin temp of 6500k
256 watts combined
a color rendering unit number of 82. ( from what I have read on the forum this only matters to the human eye, but still wanted to add here)

My thinking is this has to be better than the previous setup consisting of,
5900 lumens
the kelvin temps 36 inches of 6500 and 96 inches of 5000
110 watts combined
color rendering index- 92
Thanks guys

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!