FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Rachel8T4
Hi everyone!

First time trying to post pics on here, so hopefully I do it right :-D

I created a miniature bog garden for my little CP collection a bit over a month ago and so far it seems to be going really well! I love checking it every morning to see what it has captured out on my balcony. I water it by filling the pond, which drains down into the bottom of the planter. This is home to my 2 VFTs, 3 Sarracenia and 1 Sundew (with many tiny offspring lol). I took these pics when I first planted it, but I'll add some more recent ones soon to show the new growth. All of these CPs were newly acquired (or rather rescued) which is why they look a bit sad and dry here. I'd love to build a large one in the garden eventually!

Rachel8T4 liked this
By Rachel8T4
ArowanaLover1902 wrote:The plants look really nice, what are you using for substrate and lighting?
Thanks ArowanaLover1902 :D In this order, I have a layer of pebbles / charcoal / sand then 50/50 sphagnum peat moss and sand mix. I have them out on my balcony, so natural sunlight only. They get a bit of light morning sun / part shade then several hours of bright afternoon sun. Wasn't sure if it was going to be enough, but they seem happy! Lots of new grow and colouring up. I actually posted a tutorial on my website, if you would like a more detailed step by step with pictures;

http://www.studio8t4.com/make-a-mini-ca ... og-garden/
By Rachel8T4
Here's a few shots I took today, only 5 weeks on - plenty of new pitchers and new traps happening :D
(we had a couple of very hot days a few weeks back, so it's still sitting inside another planter)

By Rachel8T4
desenhasra26 wrote:Looks very cool!

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
Thank you desenhasra26 :D My nana loves it too, so we are going to be making her one soon!
By desenhasra26
Yay!!! Im very excited to see that one too! Can i please ask what kinds of carnivorous plants you have in that pot :)

By Rachel8T4
desenhasra26 wrote:Yay!!! Im very excited to see that one too! Can i please ask what kinds of carnivorous plants you have in that pot :)

Sure desenhasra26! :D I have two Venus Flytraps (from hardware store, no id / typical), 3 different Sarracenia Pitcher Plants also from hardware stores and also sold without any id and a Drosera capensis Sundew which has had lots of tiny babies!
By desenhasra26
Thank you so much[WHITE SMILING FACE]

By Rachel8T4
Found two of these sneaky little things in my mini bog garden, munching away at my beautiful pitcher plants! :evil: I don't know how they avoided being eaten by one of my CPs (up until today) but they did a huge amount of damage for such a tiny insects! I drowned the first one in a pitcher and stuck the second one to my sundew, so my plants got revenge......are they baby caterpillars or something else? anyone know? I hope that there aren't anymore of them hiding in there...

By desenhasra26
Ouch! I hope your plants are okay

By Rachel8T4
desenhasra26 wrote:Ouch! I hope your plants are okay

They ate the whole top off one pitcher! And put tiny holes in a heap of others - but I'm sure they will be just fine :) will just have to keep a very close eye out for any more of the little buggers
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!