FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Gothic TRAPS
Thanks Oblivion!
Oblivion wrote:nice bog. i see you got the little skulls thing going on there too.
Yeah, I couldn't resist in going on with that spooky theme with the skulls, tombstones, coffins and crypt. I picked those up last year before Halloween from a local craft strore chain while the majority of my plants were in their original pots and my original collection of VFT's were in a glass terrarium bowl. The faceless goul in the middle of the pond was picked up about a month ago and painted to give it that reeper look. As for the pond itself, it is mainly a lizzard watering tray made of stone so the coloured gravel will not saturate into the media. With all these little factors put in, it doesn't take long to come up with an idea of creating a bog bowl and theming it up. An orginal idea I had were dragon figurines roaming through a carnivorous forest, much similar to the Ice Age movie. Unfortunately that idea was going to take up more space and a much larger bog lay out than I wanted to for the time being. Maybe one of you reading can run off with that idea, if it hasn't been done already. From last fall I couldtn't wait for spring to come to get this project on its way. It sure makes a nice show peice during my roof deck barbeques and my daughter surely enjoys it as well in misting them up during warm weather.

As for your sign Oblivion, I really like that idea. It has crossed my mind in having a little sign like that, but with the theme name of bowl which is still yet to be determined. There's always some loose ideas in adding or improving the look, but that's the beauty of it. Enjoy it for the moment and don't do too much too quickly. Eventually your creation will florish within time :D .
Last edited by Gothic TRAPS on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Gothic TRAPS
As I touched on a recent post, September is here and the nights are starting to get chillier. I thought in sharing my greenhouse setup that help keep my Carnivorous Bog Bowl warm and cozy at night as well as stablizing night time temperatures from those chilly temperature drops.

Here's a look at my mini green house equiped with a fan on the top shelf and a 3 light exo-terra lighting fixture with adjustable hanging chains.
09.JPG
09.JPG (140.89 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
Here's a look at a night time photo with one of the three 23 watt 6500k daylight CFL's on giving the plants that bit of warmth at night. For photo purposes, I left the door rolled up for a better view.
10.JPG
10.JPG (103.83 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
Here's a look at another night time photo with ALL three 23 watt CFL's on. This photo was simply taken to show the difference in light intensity. Though, when certain days that are dark and cloudy with below than normal temperatures during the day, the plants are put in here with ALL three lights on for temperature stability as well as daylight stability. Eventually, my baby Cephalotus and Cape Sundews will be moved indoors with the assistance of lights throughout the fall and winter season seeing that they don't need a dormancy period.
11.JPG
11.JPG (121.3 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
Come mid October due to the consistant lower temperatures, the bowl will live in this greenhouse for the next several months during its dormancy period. Usually Vancouver winters are very mild, but if a cold snap becomes persistent then added insulated measures will be taken within the greenhouse for extra protection.

Enjoy :mrgreen: !
Last edited by Gothic TRAPS on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Gothic TRAPS
x20villan02x wrote:where is the greenhouse located? is it in your home, or is it in a garage etc?
The greenhouse is located on the roof deck of my townhouse in between a neighbouring fence (north) and my Rubbermaid shed (south) up against my my neighbouring fence (west), if that all makes sense. It is merely a few steps across from my deck door. After experimenting different areas throughout my deck for the ideal spot for this greenhouse, this area made the most sense for the protection of the plants. Even though the plants are outdoor grown in a particular safe spot on my deck during those regular days, there are those days where the elements of weather is all over the place and all of the sudden the afternoon sun breaks out with very warm temperatures (I'm writting in terms of spring and summer outdoor growing). When such days occur, I put them in the greenhouse with all the lights on including the fan thus protecting them from all these sudden changes of weather. The front flap is rolled up or closed pending on the weather conditions as well. This assures me they are safe throughout the day while I'm at work or away for a period of time. Also being between the fence and the shed like that protects it from those high gusts of wind. Wind funnels don't attack that part of the deck though I do have some weight weighing it down, just in case. I've experienced a scenario earlier in the year while my plants were in their own pots within one of these greenhouses where the wind picked it up like a balloon and slammed it all over the deck. At the time I was very green with this whole greenhouse idea, but none the less this is where my mini greenhouse is located and why. Like everything else with enough research and experimenting under certain growing conditions my plants have benifited very well from it, all for the sake of consistant growing and beauty during those odd days :D .
Last edited by Gothic TRAPS on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:49 am, edited 20 times in total.
By Gothic TRAPS
It's about a month away before the whole Carnivorous Bog Bowl will be sent into dormancy. Here's a few updated photo's of the bowl as smaller traps are beginning to develop and some traps are starting to slow down in growth due to wider day and night time temperature ranges. Vancouver weather has been somewhat wet the last couple of weeks with partial sun throughout the day, yet muggy which allows me to keep them more outside than in the mini greenhouse. All in all it's been a challenging first part of the year to a successful out come. Next year should be a VERY robust year if no disasters occur ;) . Enjoy the updates as well as my other CPs in the green pots that will soon be growing indoors with the assistance of lights.
22.JPG
22.JPG (138.52 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
23.JPG
23.JPG (147.85 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
20.JPG
20.JPG (129.82 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
21.JPG
21.JPG (126.93 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
Last edited by Gothic TRAPS on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By sekler
It looks amazing dude !!

Great to see a canadian CP fan :)

You're in the extreme west and I'm pretty much in the extreme east, no mild weather for me for sure...that's the real challenge for dormancy !

I'll see how my VFT will go through this first one !
By Daniel_G
amazing work uve done there m8 hoping i can get a mini bog that looks that good

daniel
By Gothic TRAPS
Dormancy is upon us and I'm here to report that my Carnivorous Bog Bowl is sound asleep. It's amazing of the different dormancy patterns of various VFT's. Some hold on to their robust traps (though growing VERY slow), some shrink in size with MUCH smaller traps and others, well - they like to lose all their traps with some green or red showing at the base of their trimmed leaves after turning black. It has been said that Vancouver, BC is to expect a fairly cold winter than normal with more dumps of snow this year. Normal for Vancouver is consisered mild wet winters with the odd freezing temperatures and dumps of snow. It looks like I'm faced with a different challange this year with temperatures heading into the minuses (celcius) in the overnight hours on a regular basis. As a matter of fact just two days ago the first dump of snow has blanketed over all of Metro Vancouver. I've done some research on these forums especially from you eastern growers and your harsh winters that I should be able to hold up here on the west coast. In the worst case scenario, the bowl may be spending a few nights indoors this winter. Hopefully there won't be any casualties along the way ;) . Meanwhile, below are a few updated photos of the bowl that I've conveniently put on a bed of snow on my roof deck for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy :mrgreen: !
25.jpg
25.jpg (116.03 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
26.jpg
26.jpg (117.75 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
27.jpg
27.jpg (111 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
28.jpg
28.jpg (139.55 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
The following photo is my winter setup for my other carnivorous plants shown in previous photos throughout this thread including my newly germinated Darlingtonias (on the right). ONE seedling has sprouted up already after 4 weeks of germination. I will update the progress of this new venture in the Darlingtonia Germination thread pending on its success.
29.jpg
29.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Last edited by Gothic TRAPS on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!