FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By venus fly chap 1
I have been thinking about creating a miniature swamp to plant some CPs in such as VFTs, PPs and sundews could I have some advice on what type of soil to use and how big it should be. :?:
By kronos1996
I'd say a 6x6 is a good place to start... It will take forever to dig out 2 ft Of soil, trust me on that! I'd say raise it 1 ft, that way you only have to dig down 1 ft. And fill it with peat moss and silica sand (pool filter sand) 70-30 or 50-50 your choice or just plain peat moss. Layer the entire hole with a thick tarp like a swimming pool liner, stake it down good and then put another one over that. Don't stake the second one, holes will let in minerals and chemicals. Make sure it comes up and over the top of the wood you used to raise the garden and is stapled or nailed to the other side.... It is vital that the garden is protected by this tarp to prevent chemical contamination... Think of it as a large half buried pot! Fill with the Peat Moss or Peat Moss mix if you chose that route and soak thoroughly. You WILL need a reverse osmosis filter to provide unlimited pure water for your garden. Collecting rainwater or buying distilled water simply won't be enough. I reccomend buying a soaker hose and burying it an inch or so deep in the garden, then attack it to a hose which is equipped with the RO filter. Then leave the soaker hose on for a day or so to properly soak the Peat Moss or Peat mix you decide to use, and finally plant... Make sure the garden is in full sun and preferably not on steep hill. If its close to your house thats better for easy maintenance! Make sure every plant you put out there is hardened off for full sunlight. If you get good rainfall you won't have to water much, but the soaker hose and a hose timer will make that chore almost non-existent!
By kronos1996
Keep in mind I haven't actually done this myself yet, so I could have made a mistake... My reccomendations are based off my experience with other rtypes of plants and gardens.
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!