FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

Do you measure out the portions of ingredients for your grow mix while they're wet or dry?

Wet.
13%
Dry.
50%
It don't matter to me...if you take up with someone...(...oh, my bad got hung up on an oldie.)
38%
By Intheswamp
steve booth wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:39 am One handful of peat then one handful of perlite, one handful of peat then one handful of perlite, one handful of peat then one handful of perlite, repeat till you have as much as you want, exact quantities of either are a fallacy, as is a defined mix ratio, no two mixes will ever be the same, as the size of perlite, dryness and particulate size of the peat etc, etc, will all come into play. just mix it till it looks or feels right. The plants really don't care if the mix is out by a few to a large percent either way, after all, most grow in pure peat to almost pure sand without too much detriment.
When it looks right, it is.
Apologies if that's thrown the OCD into overdrive.
Cheers
Steve
Apologies accepted...I'm working through it. :? But,...how do you know the plants don't really care? (I think I've been watching too many "Monk" reruns...).
By steve booth
Hi ITS
Apologies accepted...I'm working through it. :? But,...how do you know the plants don't really care? (I think I've been watching too many "Monk" reruns...).

Well, as well as various mixes to see how they did (and they being sarracenia, did OK in proportions up to only 20% peat, although the media didn't last more than a 2-year cycle as the acidity got washed out, some pine bark might have helped), I asked them how they were feeling and they said that they were fine................

Cheers
Steve
By Intheswamp
steve booth wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:12 am Hi ITS

Well, as well as various mixes to see how they did (and they being sarracenia, did OK in proportions up to only 20% peat, although the media didn't last more than a 2-year cycle as the acidity got washed out, some pine bark might have helped), I asked them how they were feeling and they said that they were fine................

Cheers
Steve
Well, as long as they were sarrs in good standing that actually told you and it wasn't just hearsay from some irresponsible utricularia subulata.

20%...thanks for sharing that the acid washed out of it quickly. I hadn't thought of that, only of not retaining as much water. Good info!

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!