FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I literally know nothing about Instagram. I've heard of it before, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I just looked at the website and I see it's a site for a photo stream or something of the sort? It makes sharing photos taken with a mobile device quick and easy? Is that about right?
By Nick
Matt wrote:I literally know nothing about Instagram. I've heard of it before, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I just looked at the website and I see it's a site for a photo stream or something of the sort? It makes sharing photos taken with a mobile device quick and easy? Is that about right?
Yup. Mostly used for food pictures, "artistic" selfies, and workout bragging rights, but it can be used as an extra marketing tool. It is a photo sharing/social app.
Nick liked this
By bannister
Matt wrote:I literally know nothing about Instagram. I've heard of it before, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I just looked at the website and I see it's a site for a photo stream or something of the sort? It makes sharing photos taken with a mobile device quick and easy? Is that about right?
OMG, lol. Yes, it's a photo sharing social site. I've seen some other carnivorous plant shops with an account, and they share daily or weekly photos of their plants. With proper tagging of photos viewers can come to discover your photos and your plants, and maybe redirect them to your store for potential sales.
bannister liked this
By iProcreate
I'm gonna bump this thread. I think an Instagram profile would be really cool and I already follow California Carnivores and a few other growers. I like seeing people's setups and it would be a good way to advertise new cultivars, sales, and other promotions.

Hell, I follow bands on there too to get tour dates and info on secret shows here in LA. It's definitely a very powerful tool. I'll tell you what, if you guys make an account, I'll be your first follower haha.
By ps3isawesome
Social Media's main objective is the following at a low cost. A cheap way for low budget businesses to achieve marketing efforts at relatively cheap price. As well as reach a segment of customers who prefer online media consumption.

1. Branding
2. Establishing connections with community or opinion leaders (other known CP growers or vendors)
3. A direct conversation with your customers

If you don't need any of this then I'd say it may not be worth it.
By Matt
ps3isawesome wrote:Social Media's main objective is the following at a low cost. A cheap way for low budget businesses to achieve marketing efforts at relatively cheap price. As well as reach a segment of customers who prefer online media consumption.

1. Branding
2. Establishing connections with community or opinion leaders (other known CP growers or vendors)
3. A direct conversation with your customers

If you don't need any of this then I'd say it may not be worth it.
The fact that we already have a very good customer reach on the web is another reason why I haven't pursued instagram. I may do it someday, but for now we're happy with our search engine traffic and our facebook page.
Matt liked this
By ps3isawesome
Ya, Instsgram appeals to a certain type of users. Specifically at hedonic users by solicitng a psychological response with imagery . Although different from Facebook, it serves almost the same function.

Hedonic motivation - drive to experience something emotionally gratifying

It's a lot of work in my opinion. For a school project, I accumulated almost 4000 followers, ~10,000 likes, and ~1000 comments. It was 2-3 hours a day work for 4 months.
By bannister
Well, since I started this thread, my instagram is: benjaminbannister
I mostly post about creative, quirky, beautiful things, and occasionally my plants.
Last edited by bannister on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!