FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Sky924
Hi all, Just picked up two lowes cubes a purple pitcher plant and a VFT, Nice plants for the price. I cant help it, when i see these things in those cubes i go to rescue mode. MY Q is, This year i found some at lowes when they should be dormant. They do not look dormant. Is it too late to place them outside and let them go thru their natural cycle? I live in NW Florida Zone 8. MY other VFTs are outside and "asleep", Another thing should if i put them outside shopuld i keep them inside for a few days to allow transplant shock to wear off. The VFT closed all of her traps, I am sure it was from the handling and the top down watering.
Thanxs for any ideas or suggstions.
warner
By twotut
I too have performed a rescue of a VFT at Lowes and I need to know how to, or if I need to "put" it into dormancy. It's recovered from the cube nicely and has even caught a couple of bugs. So how do I handle this situation? I might even go back and save a few more ......?

Thanks Everyone
twotut
By Sky924
I think the best thing is at least in my zone is go by the numbers, rinse off with pure water, transplant,, and what ever the time of year is, put them outside and roll from there. Most times when i do the rescue mission thing, it is spring /summer. Never did a rescue in winter. Those so called cubes at lowes at times have some very good plants, cheap and healhty,, At least during the spring/summer thing. Buying in the winter is a new thing for me.
By cbennett4041
I've bought several within the last few months, some just a few days ago. Once I get them transplanted, I leave them in the south facing window sill for this winter at least. They'll go outside in the spring.
By 95slvrZ28
More than likely the plants have recently come out of TC and could be allowed to skip dormancy providing you provide the plant with some supplemental light and keep them warm. If you don't want to go that route, you can probably throw them outside and they will go dormant, even if it is a bit late, they would still get several months of rest.

see here http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pingu[…]

look here, good idea for ping culture http://pingu[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Noob with questions

this is the best 10min video for new grows i have […]

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!